Bottoms

Evelyn boats built by Performance Yachts or C&C, discuss issues and solutions. Get great feedback from owners, past owners and even some the people that built and designed them.

Moderator: Pterobyte

Bottoms

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:35 am

OK, does anybody have horror stories about the condition of the bottoms of the E32? How bad does your boat blister?
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:51 am

The only horror story I have was preparing it for Key West in 05. We put it in the shed & did a full long board job...was HARD WORK! Came out amazing though.
Remedy has a better bottom than the AC boat I sailed on!
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:38 pm

The blisters I am working on are at the chine. It appears they did not seal the free board very well as it meets the deck. I have taken the deck off and I am resealing it after fixing the blisters. I am going to glass over this hull joint to keep the moisture out and then barrier coat it.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Re: Bottoms

Postby Motorboat!! » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Interesting. Did you have a lot of them? I am getting the boat pulled soon to put a new bottom on, and am just curious as to what I will find on (or in) the bottom. So there weren't any major defects in construction as far as anybody knows?
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Re: Bottoms

Postby Pterobyte » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:24 pm

I am finding a lot of spider cracks on the bottom. Sanding and grinding deeper reveal they are in the fairing compond, not the glass. Several different types of fairing compound was used.

I found that this boat wad probably dropped from the craddle sometime during it's life. One repaired crack in the bow, some keel box repair and port freeboard damage. We are taking it down as needed and building it back up with proper glass repair.

The fairing job on ours was hit and miss from the various attempts and fairing it. Our crew will fix that as well.

I think all this is relavant to our boat and it's 25 years of life. No telling what you will find.

Motorboat!! wrote:Interesting. Did you have a lot of them? I am getting the boat pulled soon to put a new bottom on, and am just curious as to what I will find on (or in) the bottom. So there weren't any major defects in construction as far as anybody knows?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Return to Fixes and Repairs on Evelyn 32