shroud diameter

Evelyn boats built by Performance Yachts or C&C, discuss issues and solutions. Get great feedback from owners, past owners and even some the people that built and designed them.

Moderator: Pterobyte

shroud diameter

Postby jarcher » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:05 am

Hi All...

Can someone tell me what the diameter of the upper, intermediate and lower shrouds are on a standard E32? I measured the T ball slots in my mast, and am having trouble matching these up to the shroud size.

Thanks!
jarcher
Contributor

Re: shroud diameter

Postby muchmsw » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:52 pm

jarcher wrote:Hi All...

Can someone tell me what the diameter of the upper, intermediate and lower shrouds are on a standard E32? I measured the T ball slots in my mast, and am having trouble matching these up to the shroud size.

Thanks!

I think the original wire sizes might be metric.

I just sent my Uppers Mids and Lowers, Forestay and Backstay to Rigging Only for replacement.

Here are the decimal inch measurements I get:

Uppers: 0.222
Mid: 0.163
Lowers 0.163

Forestay: 0.222
Backstay: 0.222

The two unique measurements (0.163 and 0.222) come out to 4 and 5.5 millimeters respectively, which is
the size that was stamped on the T-ball fittings on the side-stays themselves.

I'll let you know what Rigging Only advises.

Since I believe the OEM was Kenyon, does it make sense that they would use metric sizing?
Was Kenyon a non-US based company?

Steve
muchmsw
Contributor

Postby jarcher » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:32 am

muchmsw wrote:
jarcher wrote:Hi All...

Thanks!

I think the original wire sizes might be metric.

I just sent my Uppers Mids and Lowers, Forestay and Backstay to Rigging Only for replacement.

Here are the decimal inch measurements I get:

Lowers 0.163

The two unique measurements (0.163 and 0.222) come out to 4 and 5.5 millimeters respectively, which is

I'll let you know what Rigging Only advises.

Since I believe the OEM was Kenyon, does it make sense that they would use metric sizing?
Was Kenyon a non-US based company?

Steve

Thanks Steve, I have never seen anything Kenyon in metric. But 4mm is close to 5/32 inch and 5.5mm is close to 7/32 inch. I find it interesting that your uppers are heavier than your intermediates and lowers. That seems contrary to what I have read, which is that the lowers carry approximately 40% of the load, while uppers and intermediates each carry 30%. I don't have the measurements handy (I'm traveling this week) but I do seem to recall that my upper T ball opening was larger than the intermediate. Not sure about the lowest one.

I'll call rigging only and see what they think. I have notes about the size of the T ball openings, and that will dictate the size of the shrouds. Then I have to figure out what to do in the chain plates. I have nt yet measured the size of the holes for the clevis pins. Currently I have 1/4 inch shrouds, but I am hoping I can find a turn buckle that goes into the 1/4 inch bottom but a smaller shroud.
jarcher
Contributor

Postby muchmsw » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:19 pm

muchmsw wrote:Here are the decimal inch measurements I get:

Lowers 0.163

Talked to Dan at Rigging Only, and he tells me the following:

All the rigging that I send, except for the middle side-stays are 7/32". That includes the Uppers,
Lowers, Forestay and Backstay.

The middle side-stays are 5/32".

The T-ball fittings are stamped in metric, but are correct for the inch measurements.

I typo'd the side stay lower diameter in my original reply. Sorry for the confusion.

Steve
muchmsw
Contributor

Postby jarcher » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:42 pm

Thanks Steve! That makes a lot of sense. My T Ball openings are the same size top and bottom, and smaller for the middle (intermediate) stay. My calculations also say I could use smaller wire for the top shroud, but I think if I can use 7/32 I will for the uppers and lowers, something lighter for the intermediate.

My issue is the holes in the chain plates.

Hopefully Dan can help me find a solution!

Thanks again!

Jim
jarcher
Contributor

Postby muchmsw » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:31 pm

jarcher wrote:Thanks Steve! That makes a lot of sense. My T Ball openings are the same size top and bottom, and smaller for the middle (intermediate) stay. My calculations also say I could use smaller wire for the top shroud, but I think if I can use 7/32 I will for the uppers and lowers, something lighter for the intermediate.

My issue is the holes in the chain plates.

Hopefully Dan can help me find a solution!

Thanks again!

Jim

I just measured the holes in my chainplate, which I think is the stock version.

The holes for the two larger side-stays (upper and lower) are drilled for a 7/16 pin, and the smaller (mid) side
stay is for a 5/16 pin.

I'm assuming that 7/16 is the size of the forestay pin as well.

Steve
muchmsw
Contributor

Postby jarcher » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 pm

I sent my hole dimensions off to Rigging Only, and here is what he said:

Jim, chain plate set up is for 3/8 and 5/16 pins. Orientation looks like it must have been set up for a double spreader rig with single lowers or with an intermediate that ran thru the spreader tip. Assuming 5/16 pin hole is aft, can't see real well. If so that says max 3/16 wire...

That presents a problem, as I need to use 7/32 at least for the lowers but would prefer to use 7/32 for both uppers and lowers and 3/16 for intermediates. But what I have is all 1/4 inch. So there must be a way to convert from a hole designed for smaller wire to bigger wire, probably by just using a different size at each end of the turnbuckle.

So I'm not too concerned, but I'll give him a call and see what my options are.
jarcher
Contributor

Return to Fixes and Repairs on Evelyn 32