Double-ended Vang and Downhaul

Evelyn boats built by Performance Yachts or C&C, discuss issues and solutions. Get great feedback from owners, past owners and even some the people that built and designed them.

Moderator: Pterobyte

Double-ended Vang and Downhaul

Postby Wild Thing » Mon May 03, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi everyone, I'm considering two deck upgrades this year and was wondering if anyone can share insight on proper location and fit-up...

#1. Double-ended spinnaker pole downhaul. Seems pretty simple from a hardware perspective (a few additional blocks, cam cleats, etc.) but I can't decide the best way to run the line; should it run on the top of the cabin or along the side of the cabin. Any experience?

#2. Double-ended vang control line. I need the replace the blocks on the vang, I was thinking of going ahead with a double-ended setup and bring the control lines to each side of the cabin top Like this Harken layout Image (the current arrangement has the line exiting at the boom near the top of the vang and can be difficult to reach when you need to...) Again, any insight or picture of existing installations...

Thanks in advance, Guy
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Re: Double-ended Vang and Downhaul

Postby darkstar32170 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:42 pm

The double ended downhaul like you said is easy. I vote for cleating it on the side of the cabin trunk down near the deck. I run mine forward to blocks on the rail (port & starboard to a double sheave block in the center of the foredeck forward of the hatch. This give the line a 2:1 purchase which makes it real easy to operate. When we're a little shorthanded I'll hold the downhaul while on the helm (at least during the hoist) and with it on the side of the cabin trunk its easy to uncleat from the helm. On top it might be less so. Also leading the line up the front of the cabin trunk leaves a line I think is easily tripped over and you still have to get it around the foredeck hatch.

I haven't double ended my vang and don't really see a need to. I have a Spinlock ridge vang that has around a 16:1 purchase so it operates real smoothly (the Spinlock rigid vang is now discontinued I believe - I got mine at a consignment store). I do have a long, deck level traveller so the vang is not important until we are well off the wind. I'd look at doing that before double ending the vang because it makes playing the traveller upwind real easy. I can sit on the helm and play traveller and helm together to keep the boat on its feet and maintain point. If I have a crew member who has a good feel for the boat then I let them play the traveller.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Wild Thing » Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm

Thanks David, I was also favoring the side of the cabin for the same reasons.

Cheers, Guy
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby mal624 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:33 am

I had a double ended setup like the one in the drawing above. see the swivels on the cabin top next to the clutches. they were easy to reach from the rail in that location.
sentinel 021 (11).jpg
Mike
Formerly E32 Hull #2
Currently V830 Hull #8
mal624
Contributor

Return to Fixes and Repairs on Evelyn 32