Outboard or Inboard?

Evelyn boats built by Performance Yachts or C&C, discuss issues and solutions. Get great feedback from owners, past owners and even some the people that built and designed them.

Moderator: Pterobyte

Outboard or Inboard?

Postby Rolf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:28 pm

All:

I just purchased "Marisol" (previously "Caliente") without an engine. I notice there seems to be a debate about whether or not one should take the rating hit with the outboard. So, I have several questions . . . what do you all think about the desirability of an outboard? Also, if I choose to go that route, how many horses do you all recommend? 6HP . . . 10HP . . . ? Who makes the lightest long shaft outboard these days? The advantage I see to an outboard are several . . . price, weight savings, more space below when not racing, the ability to stiffen up the keel area with full cross members . . .

Thanks for the thoughts!

Rolf
Rolf
Contributor

Re: Outboard or Inboard?

Postby Pterobyte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:17 am

If you put an engine in it drop a small sail drive behind the ladder then you can stiffen the keel too!

An outboard, in my humble opinion, is the way to go. Dead weight on these boats does not help. That being said, crew weight does help, it's movable. A stiff keel does a lot for you too. I have heard that some of the inboards have trouble breaking free downwind and stay in displacement mode. I think the outboards do better.
A 6 horse should push you at 6 to 6.5 kts.

The inboard not only adds it's weight for itself and drag for the prop, it also adds all the systems, exhaust, battery, fuel controls that add up to a lot.

An outboard is a bitch getting on and off. I'd love to be able drop a Hobbie like well in one.

Welcome to the Forum. Any chance we can talk you into trekking to New Orleans for Mardi Gras Regatta??
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Rolf » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:39 am

Man that would be great fun! Unfortunately, I live halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago, the boat's in St. Petersburg . . . it would be difficult to get my crew there . . . lotsa reasons I will not be able to make it, as tempting as it is!

BTW, I am building a trailer for the boat (ordered a 24 ft. bed skid steer trailer from Kaufman without a deck) and plan to weld all the appropriate support/pads (4-5 on each side). The only thing I need now is a pickup truck!

rolf
Rolf
Contributor

Postby Motorboat!! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:52 pm

I have an outboard on my boat in New Orleans. I love it. It is a tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke extra long shaft (25"). I got it new for less than $1500, and it is worth every penny. It pushes the boat at a solid 5 kts, and as high as 6.5kts on a calm day. I also rigged a plug on the transom to charge the boat battery while the engine is running. Getting it off the stern effeciently takes a bit of practice, but our crew has a pretty good system now. I really like the versitility of being able to move the motor around down below for racing, and another benefit is that you can just take it home one weekend and do a complete overhaul without having to hire a marine mechanic.
Also, I really notice the difference in light air performance between us and the other 32 locally that has an inboard. The boat is just too weight sensitive to be burdened by a 300 lb motor, and another 200-250 lbs of associated equipment.

If you are concerned about long deliveries, we used our 6hp to bring the boat home 200+ miles after a race this summer.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:06 pm

Rolf wrote:Man that would be great fun! Unfortunately, I live halfway between Milwaukee and Chicago, the boat's in St. Petersburg . . . it would be difficult to get my crew there . . . lotsa reasons I will not be able to make it, as tempting as it is!

rolf

Well this coming year, 2010 WE ARE going to get to a venue with other E's. I am leaning towards New Orleans. The other options are RI, and now Lake Michigan. Somebody has been threatening a Mac race... hmmmmmm
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:57 pm

Where does one go about getting a trailer. My crew and I probably have enough skills and tools to build one if we had the plans.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby FlatlineE32 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Rolf, Is your boat the old Caliente from CT?
You should look into the saildrive 330 http://www.saildrive.us/index.html There are three 32-2's in The CT area that have done the conversion. I went from an outboard to inboard because it was difficult to make headway in a sea. I couldn't keep the outboard in the water without a bunch of crew sitting in the stern.
I had Triad Trailers build my trailer. They have pictures of the E32 trailer on there website. It could help as a guide.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby Rolf » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:41 am

Jason . . . yes, she is the original "Caliente" . . . still haven't decided on what I'll name her . . .
Rolf
Contributor

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Rolf wrote:All:

I just purchased "Marisol" (previously "Caliente") without an engine. I notice there seems to be a debate about whether or not one should take the rating hit with the outboard. So, I have several questions . . . what do you all think about the desirability of an outboard? Also, if I choose to go that route, how many horses do you all recommend? 6HP . . . 10HP . . . ? Who makes the lightest long shaft outboard these days? The advantage I see to an outboard are several . . . price, weight savings, more space below when not racing, the ability to stiffen up the keel area with full cross members . . .

Thanks for the thoughts!

Rolf

if you stay OB a 6 hp should be just fine. As Jason mentioned it won't motor all that well...but it's not a powerboat now is it!
My boat was an IB (Remedy) with the motor mounted on top of the keel sump (the original Formula yachts IB location)
This is a good spot for the motor as the prop shaft comes out the back of the sump & is low drag, however it's a bad place in terms of interior volume & sump structure. Boats with the IB setup all have the main frame cut in half to allow the motor to fit. It is possible to rebuild the frames & fix the sump to new or better stiffness but it is quite tricky (we did this on Remedy).
Bob & I debated the IB vs OB issue often in terms of speed vs rating. He belives the OB boats are faster vs rating. We weighed the entire motor package in our boat when it was out, soup-nuts it weighed 350 lbs WAY more than an OB....
With that said, we had what was and may still be the fastest non Turbo E 32 (turbo being Bluto) so I'm not 100% sure.

My advice to you would be to buy a good 6 hp OB & start sailing the boat. Work on getting it structuarally sound with a good bottom, tuning and off course sails!
For that you should give me a call... 860 536 4235
John Fries
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Intensity » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:45 am

I currently have the inboard configuration. I'm not crazy about outboards because I do a lot of delivery miles each year. I have considered changing to a small saildrive unit behind the ladder. Does anyone have this already? If so any info/pics would be appreciated. The engine is currently out of the boat and we are stiffening the keel. I would like to make the decision prior to laying in the new stringers. Thanks for any help

Scotty Butcher
Intensity
US 25030
Intensity
Contributor

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am

Intensity wrote:I currently have the inboard configuration. I'm not crazy about outboards because I do a lot of delivery miles each year. I have considered changing to a small saildrive unit behind the ladder. Does anyone have this already? If so any info/pics would be appreciated.
Scotty Butcher
Intensity
US 25030

I don't know a 32 that did this. I'd love to hear about it as well if one was done. A sail drive was put on the Pterodactyl, a 42, and it was an awesome mod. It really helped with weight distribution by putting the weight just aft of the CG instead of of in front of it. These boats don't like weight forward of CG at all. It also saved huge space, buy using the dead space under the ladder. The 32, being much smaller will make it a bit harder to get in the back of the boat though.

The 32 is short of stingers, so the load of the back-stay loads relies on the hull shape. When you go through the bottom for the sail drive be sure to be aware of this. The loads will want to elongate around the sail drive opening.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby FlatlineE32 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Three E-32's in the Northeast have added a saildrive including me. All three boats were outboards that were converted.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Return to Fixes and Repairs on Evelyn 32