Cabintop window replacements

Evelyn boats built by Performance Yachts or C&C, discuss issues and solutions. Get great feedback from owners, past owners and even some the people that built and designed them.

Moderator: Pterobyte

Cabintop window replacements

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 am

Does anybody know if/where you can get replacement flanges or windows for the side windows on the cabintop? Mine leak like crazy and no amount of caulk is stopping the leaks. Also, the original plastic "flanges" that are bolted from inside and out have deteriorated to teh point that they are no longer useable. Any suggestions for replacing the windows with in an affordable manner that still looks decent?
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Re: Cabintop window replacements

Postby FlatlineE32 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 pm

I replaced mine a few years back with the exact match. www.beckson.com/fixedsp.html The inside trim piece has to be trimmed down since the deck is so thin, besides that it was an easy replacement. I have seen some replacements out of Lexan and they bolted the Lexan right onto the cabin top. The Beckson Ports look a little cleaner.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby darkstar32170 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm

Matt:

I replaced mine with lexan simply bolted in the holes for the original portlights. The lexan only cost me $60 so I figured if the didn't work out I could still buy the Beckson portlights. I couldn't find shorter stainless steel sex bolts like those used on the original portlights but was able to find something similar in aluminum. I set them in a good bead of silicone and there are not leaks so far.

The portlights on "Pterobyte" have been replaced with something similar but Jim also built out a frame around the new lexan. You can see them on his website and a couple of the photos he posted here.

Here are photos of how they look on "Dark Star"
100_1977.jpg

100_1975.jpg

Mary was up here this past weekend and wanted to see my deck work. I'm sure she'll report to you (she might have already since yesterday was Wednesday) I hear you got a 1st and the 2nd over the weekend. I'll be down in November.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am

The deck looks great! I think we are going to need to paing our deck this winter.
So I have been looking for some smoked lexan, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Where did you get yours?
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby darkstar32170 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:02 pm

The lexan came from my local lumber yard. They have a window and screen repair shop as part of their operation. Most glass shops will have lexan and plexiglass.

I don't know if Mary told you that I will be in NOLA for the first 3 weeks of November. I can go over then what I did and what I learned from the process.
David Lodge
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm

Yeah, she told me. That will be great timing! Just as we begin the offseason projects list. I have been looking locally (lowes, home depot, etc.) but can't seem to find the stuff. All they have is clear.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Lexan is not what is used on these windows. I understand how it gets confused. Use smoke Acrylic. It works just fine. Lexan scratches a lot easier then Acrylic even though it is tougher.
Attachments
DSCI0275.JPG
P1010024-s[1].JPG
P1010024-s[1].JPG (19.96 KiB) Viewed 5238 times
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby darkstar32170 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes, actually the new portlights for "Dark Star" are plexiglass (acrylic). I wasn't so sure plexi would be the right stuff but its so cheap that I thought I'd try it. My companionway hatch board at one time was plexi, but a little rough handling and it snapped in two. The hatch is now lexan, and yes it scratches easily, but its tough enough to serve as a the hatch board. I'll cut a new one now. The old one looks so bad with the new deck.
David Lodge
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:28 pm

darkstar32170 wrote:Yes, actually the new portlights for "Dark Star" are plexiglass (acrylic). I wasn't so sure plexi would be the right stuff but its so cheap that I thought I'd try it. My companionway hatch board at one time was plexi, but a little rough handling and it snapped in two. The hatch is now lexan, and yes it scratches easily, but its tough enough to serve as a the hatch board. I'll cut a new one now. The old one looks so bad with the new deck.

I put a piece of StarBoard across the top of the hatch board. That stiffened it and gave me a shelf to put a proper offshore latch in it that can be undone from below. It is very durable now.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Return to Fixes and Repairs on Evelyn 32