EVELYN 36

Rare boats: 36, 32 MK1, 25.5, 28, Pointin Star, Pointin 29 etal

Moderator: Pterobyte

EVELYN 36

Postby EVELYN36 » Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 pm

I am the proud owner of a 1978 Evelyn 36, Incredible lines, light air is her best friend, Down wind she keeps up with the fastest of the "J" boats but really tough to point to weather..... Any way there were suppose to be only 5 of these babys ever built and I am trying to find out anything I can about her... I found online that Bob had an Evelyn 36 that he won the 1977 ECSA offshore circuit overall championship with. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
EVELYN36
Browser

Re: EVELYN 36

Postby admin » Sat May 30, 2009 8:25 pm

This is an intriguing post.
First off, you might want to try messaging "musicman" or "bluto" from this board's member list....they might be able to put you in touch with BE.

Now for the hard part.

I've never sailed an Ev 36 (how many people can say they have?) but I have spent some time on a Siedelman 299 and a Dehler optima 101 (34 feet) and both had the kind of deep IOR profiles the E36 has, and both were absolute dogs, DW, in the light stuff. Then, in anything over 12-14, they were somewhat squirrely DW and prone to the rolly-pollies unless the twings were ground down pratically biting through the rail. Where both of these boats did OK, was: upwind, espec. in medium to heavy pressure. So, it's great to hear you have her dialed in DW, but it makes me wonder why you are suffering so much upwind?

First culprit would be: what kind of shape is your uphill inventory in? If your headsail is even slightly in need of a recut, these boats are going to suffer hugely upwind...at least, that was my experience on the 3/4 tonner dehler (7/8's frac rig).
admin
Site Admin

Postby EVELYN36 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:22 am

Hi, Here is a bit more history on Legacy, My Evelyn 36, she is a fractional rig with a decent inventory of sails, sometime in her life she had her original seven foot draft modified to five foot six with a lead bulb. She has some very interesting vee shaped jib travelers that pivot ( I will try to get photos) for head sails I have a light air 165 kevlar, a mylar 150, and a dacron 110, (plus a few misc storm type) I also have one kevlar and two dacron mains. All the sails are in decent shape but may need recutting but due to Legacy being a low budget boat I am not sure where to start.
EVELYN36
Browser

Postby fred douglass » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:04 am

I sailed an Evelyn 36 on a delivery from RI to Marion, MA. It was downwind in zephyrs, but the boat moved right along. Later, I saw it hauled out in Wickford(?) RI and was amazed to see those freaky "measurement bumps" underneath. This particular one was bright orange (a great color!)..there was another one in RI which was white but trimmed with an Irish theme. Can't remember either boat's name. They DID have their galleys forward, on the main transverse bulkhead, though, I remember that. I also remember that the whole area aft, abaft the midships engine, nav. area and quarter berths was wide open. The companionway ladder came down as the only impediment to the mosh pit. Love to take that on a Bermuda Race! Intriguing and really cool boat.
fred douglass
Browser

Postby admin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Another 36 has turned up. Tom S. sent us a photo of the 36 he bought last fall (see: http://www.nbayracing.com/Evelyn36.htm)
Shoot me an email at the nbayracing address or PM me from here if you want to get in contact with Tom. He is in the Chicago area.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Other Evelyn Designs