Boom replacement

Evelyn boats, parts, trailers, sails, list them here!

Moderator: Pterobyte

Boom replacement

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:08 pm

Anybody know where I could buy a boom, new or used? If it is new, I would just want the aluminum section, and I could re-use my hardware
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Boom Replacement

Postby darkstar32170 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:45 pm

When I bought "Dark Star" the previous owner purchased a new boom for me since he broke the previous one the last time he sailed the boat.

He delivered the old one to Hall Spars in Bristol, RI and they used all the old fittings that were in good enough condition on a new extrusion. Ben Hall is former and once again owner of an Evelyn 32-2. He was the original owner of my boat "Dark Star" and now is part owner of "Bluto." You can reach them at http://www.hallspars.com or 401 253-4858.

You should also be able to get a new extrusion from Rig Rite in Warwick, RI. I think they took over Kenyon's assets so you should be able to get a bare boom from them too. It wouldn't surprise me if that's where Hall Spars would get the extrusion. Rig Rite is a great source for all sorts of Evelyn 32-2 parts. You can reach Rig Rite at http://rigrite.com/index.html or 401-739-1140.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby admin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:56 am

Ben and Bill Berges bought my Evelyn 32-2, and from what I've seen from pix (CRW, KWRW, NYYCRW) they have replaced the boom that was on the boat when I sold it (go figure). That boom had a v. slight deformity in it, but was structurally sound, it was subjected to breeze in the high 30's low 40's w/o compromising it. It's certainly within the realm of possibility they still have it, but it wasn't exactly pretty. Make a decent spare though, nice backup if you break one on Day 2 of a 3-5 day event.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Motorboat!! » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 am

Thanks, I will try to get in touch with some of those companies. While my boom is still on one piece, it was previously broken at the vang connection. The patch job fix left a little to be desired. Now the boom has a noticeable bend in it where it was fixed, and I know it is only a matter of time until it breaks again, and I know that time will be in a gybe in 25 knots of breeze!

On a side note, has anybody ever tried wrapping a carbon "sleeve" around a weak/broken spot for reinforcement?
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby FlatlineE32 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:15 pm

I have an extra boom that I will be willing to sell. It is awlgripped white and in decent shape. I replaced mine last season to upgrade to a bigger extrusion and increased my E like on Remedy and Bluto.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Re: Boom replacement

Postby Motorboat!! » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:13 am

What type of section are people using when they upgrade the boom to a more robust design? I have got to do something about this soon. I think my boom is on borrowed time.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Re: Boom replacement

Postby musicman » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:13 pm

I have a stock boom e-mail me friessaildesign@gmail.com
musicman
Loquacious

Return to For Sale, Parts, Sails, Whole Boats, Project Boats