Smarter Ramp Launch Plan

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Smarter Ramp Launch Plan

Postby peter ross » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:59 pm

Making the 25 ramp ready is a headache. Going to continue the work but not focus on the ramp idea for now.
Tim's blog and the current craze about the boat on SA proved to much, I caved tonight. Spent nearly an hour on the phone to Colorado with one of the nicest people in the business. Paypal is having some security issues with me and the i550 site so I reverted to overnight snail mail. Even secured a hull #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Tempest rig might just work until more funds break loose. Man am I an unpopular person in the house for this, she wrote the check.........................hehehe.

I was thinking about no cabin until I watched Tokyo Trash Baby at night.
Tim, I want to come look at your boat and pick your brain.

http://prossyachts.com/i550.php
peter ross
Contributor

Re: Smarter Ramp Launch Plan

Postby admin » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:07 am

Well, in terms of the ramp launch, one thing I'm doing to make it easier is going with the cassette/daggerboard rudder. But ideally, having the option to use a single-point hoist would be excellent, too. Not sure how I'd go about tying that in with the lifting keel, though...

the last boat I ramp-launched was a friend's Corsair 24 and it was a royal bitch on a very shallow angle ramp....if I remember correctly they have
a kick-up rudder and without that we'd have been SOL. Seems like the ramps on tributaries to the Chesepeake are never steep enough!

Hey congrats on the i550 plan set...what hull # is that? Are we in the 180's yet?
admin
Site Admin

Postby peter ross » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 am

The hull #'s are in the 170's, I asked for 222. I guess #'s are being taken so fast, they're fairly certain that # will be reached soon. Just got a couple of e-mails offering to help, will be eagerly accepting it.
peter ross
Contributor

Postby peter ross » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

The donor Tempest was under a pipe shelter, the 25 in a slightly stronger shelter. The twisted Tempest bow is poking out of the lesser shelter, done! Going to dig thru to the 25, I thought it was ok yesterday, but hadn't seen the extent of the shelters till this morning. Been stuck in bed with the flu, shivering like mad ( I LOVE the cold, hating the bone chill!) I shoveled the woman's car out yesterday and saw what looked like the intact end of the large shelter. Too cold to go upstairs in the shop to view the thing and had to get right back to bed after 20 minutes of shoveling. I am afraid the 25 got crushed forward.........................what a mess. It was snow loads, not wind, but the snow drifted onto the collapsed shelters and that may be what caused more damage.

Edited after seeing the boats, what's left of them. Tempest crushed from glacial snowpack, unbelievable weight of that stuff. Can't really shovel it, too compacted. The 25 seems ok, got shoved back nearly off it's cradle. Kinda looks like something nailed the bow and it bounced, poor boat. I took a bunch of photos but the camera got foggy, will upload when the camera comes up to room temp, some sad shots.

Camera warmed up:
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/Tynaje/Tempest/
The 25 took a big hit from the cargo heater and something else, can't tell. It got hit hard, bounced too hard aft, not good. The rigs look fine and the 25 keel is still there, haha. Cannot believe how compact that snow/ice is. I tried shoving against the pile on the Tempest, rock solid, could not budge it. Have to wait for warmer weather in a week or two or three. Those shelters are not designed to be used as that one was.

3 PM edit: It's gone, holed aft and split under the stem. Nice lamination, must admit. Anyone need a flag pole?
The loud metal popping sounds are pretty scary in that large shed, the 25 hit the side hard, looks kinked too. I more upset about the cargo heater, luckily the propane tanks were out for refilling.
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o145/Tynaje/Evelyn%2025/
peter ross
Contributor

Return to General Chatter