Winter projects

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Winter projects

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 am

Alright, so who out there is doing offseason "upgrades" to their boat? I know my list is 2 pages long. Things like replacing the vang hardware, installing aluminum backing plates for the runners, trying to strengthen the settees....
On thing I would like to do is replace the wood foot rests in the cockpit with something plastic, but can't seem to find any suitable material (apparently they don't make starboard in bar stock sections).
Any ideas?
Also, does anybody have a good way to keep the mast deck joint from leaking? I have tried everything!
What other projects are being done.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

repairs

Postby mal624 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:26 am

I did the backing plates for the checks out of G10. so far (two seasons) so good.
mal624
Contributor

Winter projects

Postby Pterobyte » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:16 pm

I have a full list for this winter, any advice is welcome:

* Re seat ALL the deck hardware
* Replace all the teak w/ Star Board
* Repair hatch
* Build instrument bridge on hatch
* Redo the topside, new awl grip and paint
* Blast the bottom and re fair it
* Re seat the keel

Oh yeah, the v berth lumber is all wet and moldy, I ripped it out and need to find suitable lightweight material. Any ideas?

More details at Pteroybte.net
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby admin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:14 pm

I am a huge fan of coosa composite.

this stuff is the bomb (which I think means it's OK)
cheggitt:

http://www.pdgassociates.com/index.php?pageId=0006
admin
Site Admin

Postby Motorboat!! » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:45 pm

That's some pretty cool stuff! I wish I could find a use for it.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Thanks for the lead. I think this is what I was looking for. I also wanted to put in a few floor boards with it.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:42 am

Those are some pretty lofty projects.
Where are you finding starboard in a bar stock shape? I really want to replace the teak foot boards in the cockpit floor but can't seem to find anything to fit the application (cross section of about 1"x2")
Also, I replaced my v-berth as well. I ended up sandwiching 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood with a heavy fiberglass in between, and covering the whole thing with a thin layer (6oz?) of glass and painting it. I did it in 2 halves and installed them seperately, then glass taped them to the boat. Looks much better and you can acually use the v-berth.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Leakage around the mast

Postby darkstar32170 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:25 pm

There seems to be little you can do to stem the flow of water around the mast at the deck. You can get the proper wedges (from Rig Rite) for around the mast and that will help a little. On my mast, and probably yours too there just isn't enough room between the lowest hardware on the mast and the collar on the deck to fit any sort of proper mast boot.

I have been looking for a solution for the foot braces on the cockpit sole too. I am considering building a mould out of MDF that I will use to make my own foam cored, glass fiber shapes for foot rests. After painting them and epoxying them into place I'll apply non-slip pads. I'll let you know how they come out.

I should really rebuild the vee berth and settees too, but I think that's for next year.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby peter ross » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:48 am

Happy New Year all. Meant to get back here sooner, but been really swamped.
I have a mold for the foot rest, it's a simple melamine mold with large radius. Melamine is the perfect surface for flat panels as well, easily waxed and reused and makes great instant tables. G Fornal has a one piece footrest, traveller remounted on a carbon beam at deck height. Ursa Minor has a two piece foot rest because it has a sole mounted traveller, made from the same mold. I think they mentioned they would have liked them even higher, easy to adjust in the mold. Although both boats had bulkheads added under the cockpit (Mystic Shipyard installed Ursa's,) I noticed the cockpits became much stiffer once the footrests were installed.
Ursa Minor footrest:
Still looking for G Fornal's, photo, soon....very soon.......
I really didn't register here to spam the place, but as an Evelyn owner, would like to offer you guys any part you may need. Bagged flat panels are easy and might be a light answer for some. I'll post under the rudder keel thread about those parts.
Bagging G Fornal's cored bulkhead and Gnat's rudder profile: click on "Bagging the Evelyn 25 Support Bulkhead" (last years home shop, haven't been tossed out of this neighborhood yet......)
http://www.youtube.com/Tynaje
peter ross
Contributor

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:45 pm

Motorboat!! wrote:Those are some pretty lofty projects.
Where are you finding starboard in a bar stock shape? I really want to replace the teak foot boards in the cockpit floor but can't seem to find anything to fit the application (cross section of about 1"x2")
Also, I replaced my v-berth as well. I ended up sandwiching 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood with a heavy fiberglass in between, and covering the whole thing with a thin layer (6oz?) of glass and painting it. I did it in 2 halves and installed them seperately, then glass taped them to the boat. Looks much better and you can acually use the v-berth.

I planning on using large King Starboard, like we did on the Evelyn 42. By ripping 1.5inch sheet into sheet strips I can refab all the teak on the boat as well as the companion way hatch slides. If you want I can fab yours when I do mine. I have not decided on color, either white or light grey.

These handles on the bow of a 42 were made this way and I installed them there. The 42 also has some foot braces made from black material in the stern. See pterobyte.net

I was also going fab some hand rails for inside the boat just under the hatch rails. Technically we need to have hand holds inside and I don't yet.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Re: Winter projects

Postby Pterobyte » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:47 pm

Progress on Pterobyte:
http://pterobyte.net/blog-roll/evelyn-32-2-progress

P1010129.JPG
New Nida Core fore bulkhead.

P1010152.JPG
Contrary to popular opinion, I do some of the work...
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:19 am

Wow, that is looking very impressive! I am very jealous of your setup. By the way, where are you buying your starboard from?
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby admin » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:30 am

I've been on maybe 4 or 5 different 32-2's and never seen knees like that as deck/stanchion support. Any idea when/where/how they were incorporated into the build? Are they original equipt? I'm also thinking a Laser Level would have been an excellent call for the i550 I am building!!! Great idea.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:03 pm

admin wrote:I've been on maybe 4 or 5 different 32-2's and never seen knees like that as deck/stanchion support. Any idea when/where/how they were incorporated into the build? Are they original equipt? I'm also thinking a Laser Level would have been an excellent call for the i550 I am building!!! Great idea.

They don't intersect with the stanchions, unfortunately. I have to add something for that. Below is a better picture. They were added by the previous owner as stiffeners and deck support. They are made out of carbon fiber and they are hollow, and dry. The boat has a pair at the aft bulkhead too. The topside of the boat is real solid except where the stanchions are. Now the deck is dry too, after all the coring I did. I am also adding a support under the cockpit drop down, inside, to disperse the load that causes the spiders around the primaries.

P1010042.JPG
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:56 pm

Motorboat!! wrote:Wow, that is looking very impressive! I am very jealous of your setup. By the way, where are you buying your starboard from?

I have a plastic vendor in Norfolk, Norva Plastics 757 622 9281, that carries it. They are willing to sell a half sheet, 2x8 of 1". I need the long piece to make the hatch rails out of and then the hiking foot rest. Although the triangle mold idea looks pretty good too for the hiking foots rests. Would you like me to rip some pieces for you out of mine?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Next

Return to General Chatter