hull number 34

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

hull number 34

Postby jsd123 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:44 pm

I'm thinking about putting hull # 34 back together. In Galveston bay and has some hull damage...cosmetic...from a hurricane. Anyone know anything about this one in particular?

Also, the deck flexes a bit. Moisture meter says it's dry and I know it's not cored. Is this the norm on some of the other boats?

I look forward to hearing from some of you guys!

Cheers!

JD
jsd123
New Here

Re: hull number 34

Postby Wild Thing » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Hi JD, I own WildThing, hull 31. My boat definitely has a lot of flex in the forward deck; foredeck always finds it intimidating...
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Re: hull number 34

Postby Screwball » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Really the deck is not cored? That would be really odd. I have done work on 3 of these boats, and all of them had wet core in the decks, some of it was pretty extensive. One had been recored in places with plywood by a previous owner. That was a major mistake. The water got in and wicked through the plywood and then into the surrounding balsa. There is always some flexing in the decks on these boats, if its extreme then chances are the core is wet. I would suggest drilling small test holes in suspect areas, around the chainplates, hatches, and any deck hardware, especially where there is a high load.
Screwball
Contributor

Return to General Chatter