Boat Weight

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Boat Weight

Postby Rolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:14 am

Fellow owners:

I wonder how many of you have weighed you boats. I just completed the rebuild of "Blitzkrieg" and was very curious as to how much she weighed. I replaced all the bulkheads with 3/4" Meranti, glassed the edges and both faces, filled weave etc with epoxy. I also installed the keel box stiffeners with 1" thick Meranti . . . also totally enclosed in glass epoxy prior to installation. Additionally the bulkheads supporting the chain plates are way oversized. The boat doesn't have an inboard, but instead has the Nissan 6HP Extended shaft motor.

Included in the weighing are:
Boat
Mast, boom, spinnaker pole
standing rigging
running rigging
lifelines
battery
motor

Excluded are cushions and sails

Weight comes in at 4720 pounds on truck scales (I preweighed the truck and empty trailer).

How do other boats compare?

rolf
Rolf
Contributor

Re: Boat Weight

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:38 pm

I saw your post on Facebook. I have heard a lot of different numbers from 4,500 to 5,500.

I have not weighed mine yet. Our scale is way far away from here. Maybe on the way back from Charleston. But then it will be completely loaded.... I'll have to figure this out, getting it weighted seems to be a logistical challenge for me.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Re: Boat Weight

Postby Rolf » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Jim:

Thanks. I was wondering if I was off the mark at all. 4720 seemed pretty light to me, but it looks like I'm well within the parameters of what other people have reported . . . and then perhaps on the lower side.

rolf
Rolf
Contributor

Return to General Chatter