Greetings from Mississauga

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Greetings from Mississauga

Postby Wild Thing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:02 am

Really glad to see this forum come to life!
I'm the new owner of Wild Thing and look forward to hearing from people with more experience with the boat.
We're racing her for the first time tonight in our club late season Rum Runners fun race.
Will keep you posted...

Cheers!
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Keep us posted

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:45 am

When did you acquire her? I picked up Brigadier Aug 8th and have it ready for its first race Sept 13th, Wolf Trap long distance out of Fishing Bay.

Jim
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Re: Keep us posted

Postby Wild Thing » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:25 pm

[quote="Pterobyte"]When did you acquire her?

I purchased her from Ed Thompson in Oakville back in June; Ed was looking for a roomier boat for his growing family members...
I was already committed to race on a different for the summer but we have agreed to move that crew to Wild Thing for the last few fun races of the season.
Still much to learn...
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby admin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:27 pm

seems like the number of boats switching owners lately has been very high, compared to 2-3 years ago. The Fries have "Remedy" for sale, it sounds like. Bottom line is all the good buzz from KWRW, Block, Charleston and Newport have the boats being desirable (especially for a 25 yr old design).

Soooo...keep winning and keep up the chatter. Then get a decent return on your investment when it's time to get a Melges 32!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Mississauga

Postby Wild Thing » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:53 am

Wild Thing wrote:Will keep you posted...

Cheers!

We had our first race last night; a very light air affair that was eventually shortened to a single w-l leg... It took us a little while to get the boat going in light air; mostly because of my poor helming trying to pinch too much. We still managed to finish just a couple minutes behind Rhumbfront, the otther E32-2 at PCYC.
All is good, can't wait for next week! :P
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby Motorboat!! » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:52 pm

I recently purchased an E 32 also. It used to be called Frigate, and is now called Motorboat!! Although I used to sail on a Evelyn 42, I am still going through a pretty good learning curve on the boat. My boat also needs a lot of work, so any helpful advice or ideas are greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Matt
Motorboat !!
USA32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Re: Greetings from Mississauga

Postby apassori » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:34 am

Wild Thing wrote:
Wild Thing wrote:Will keep you posted...

Cheers!

We had our first race last night; a very light air affair that was eventually shortened to a single w-l leg... It took us a little while to get the boat going in light air; mostly because of my poor helming trying to pinch too much. We still managed to finish just a couple minutes behind Rhumbfront, the otther E32-2 at PCYC.
All is good, can't wait for next week! :P

In light air, keep the crew forward and obviously to leeward. I used to sail my Tartan 10 downwind w/crew aft (light & moderate/heavy air) but moving crew forward seems to be faster on the Evelyn both downwind and upwind.
Al
Evelyn 32-2
Annapolis
apassori
Browser

Light Air

Postby darkstar32170 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:20 pm

Upwind in light air (under 5 knots) you should be able to sail with boats that owe you up to a minute a mile. We can stay with the fast 40 footers (Beneteau 40.7, J120, Farr 395, etc). You have to keep the big stern area out of the water.

We put all crew to leeward with the front crew member against the shrouds and forward of the second stanchion. I (helm) sit in front of the traveller which is a little more difficult on "Dark Star" as the traveller crosses the cockpit at deck level and is 6 ft. long (see http://davidlodgestudios.com/photo03.html for deck layout).
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Re: Light Air

Postby Pterobyte » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:12 pm

darkstar32170 wrote:.

We put all crew to leeward with the front crew member against the shrouds and forward of the second stanchion. I (helm) sit in front of the traveller which is a little more difficult on "Dark Star" as the traveller crosses the cockpit at deck level and is 6 ft. long (see http://davidlodgestudios.com/photo03.html for deck layout).

This seems to support putting the outboard over the keel as well. See:this post

I was thinking of modding our traveler and make it 6 feet as well. How does that work out with moving about on the boat?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Longer Traveller

Postby darkstar32170 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:38 pm

The real nice thing about the long traveller at deck level is how easily accessible the main sheet and traveller lines are. I have a Harken windward sheeting traveller car the the cam cleats on the car. Works real smoothly for either the helmsman or a dedicated crewman to control. You do have to watch easing the traveller in conjunction with lee helm issues.

It does divide the cockpit into definite crew and helm areas. This can be good as it enforces crew discipline and prevents crew from moving back too far, but the area in front of the traveller is only enough for 2 crew. My traveller was located directly over the location of the original traveller and the step in the cockpit floor. You might want to "sneak it back a few inches (you should be able to move the mainsheet bail on the boom back). Just make sure the mainsheet will clear the tiller. In light air I actually sit in front of the traveller and have to move around behind it during a tack.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Wild Thing » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:09 pm

I was also considering an upgrade to a windward sheeting traveller until some articles on SA convinced me they were a nuisnace in light air and chop; there is no way to lock them on the windward side and they have a tendency to bounce around a lot... Is that an isolated problem or a real issue. Light air and chop is a regular occurence on Lake Ontario...
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:07 pm

I really liked the windward car when then came out but gave up on them and a royal pain. Or maybe it just the J109 that had a continuous control line that kept getting jammed up.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Return to General Chatter