Another New Evelyn 32 Owner

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Another New Evelyn 32 Owner

Postby FastCrab » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:56 am

Hello, Evelyn 32 forum!!

I just took on the restoration of the 1984 Evelyn 32, "Zingarella"!I (Italian for Gypsy..) am not sure what hull number but I'll see if I can figure that out later today. The boat has the inboard Yanmar diesel, freshly rebuilt. Like the other 'new owner' posting here, it has some soft spots in the deck where hardware was changed as well as around the forward hatch. It also has problems with the mast step and the apparently 'typical' keel sump structural problem, though I have it in the water now and I haven't noticed any movement underway. The plan is to fortify the keel and mast step over the winter for racing full tilt next year, meanwhile sail it on mild days only...

I have been perusing the various work shown here, and can "run the numbers", even perform composite FE analysis. Over the weekend, I TIG welded the stainless under the bottom ladder step, re-epoxied the fittings in place, and generally cleaned and cleaned!! Much better to have the stair back in operating condition and the boat in nicer shape!! It was rough when I got it.

I currently work as the Assistant Director of the Waterfront at St. Mary's College of MD, where I teach sailing, but I have an extensive background in designing hydrofoils, surface effect ships and other 'advanced marine vehicles'. I have my own company, Loheed Technologies, LLC (http://www.loheedtech.com/) as well as a partnership in another engineering firm known as Island Engineering, Inc. (http://www.islandengineering.com/). I spent 13 years as a technician in the "Rocket Labs" of Purdue University and am versed in fabricating in most any materials. A few years back LT and IEI collectively built "the largest, fastest, technically most complex model ever tested in the tow tank" for JJMA and the USN. It is a segmented surface effect ship concept known as the 'Sea Train'. I can analyze keel and rudder shapes, and have a 50" x 100" x 6" 3D CNC router in my shop that can do foil shapes as well as panel cutting (as a result of the Sea Train contract). I had begun building one design rudders, daggerboards and centerboards as well as composites fabrication but was offered my job at the College which is very appealing, now it's time get it going again. here at SMCM I am the delegate for CBYRA and also organize and score the Governor's Cup yacht race. I have a 35' x 60' shop facility and could expand it to twice that. Access has to be by trailer, there is no water depth in the cove by the building, but it was a truck maintenance facility so has plenty of 'headroom'. The facility also has a huge paint booth.

Regards and fair sailing!!

Rick Loheed

P.S. I can't wait to begin racing "Zingarella"!!
FastCrab
Contributor

Re: Another New Evelyn 32 Owner

Postby admin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Way to go, glad to see Zingarella has finally found a new home...it seems like eons since Stovy first put it up for sale.
As far as "racing full tilt" well, full tilt was refitted with parts from good sons, and I think they renamed it...cant remember. ANyway, you'd have to go up to Conn or R.I. to race full tilt.
Best of luck with the refit....I asked Sean of SMSA to check on the status of Zing back in mid-summer, as Mike in CT had asked if anyone knew of a project boat. Looks like you beat the guys in N.E. to the punch!

cheers,
tim ford
nbay
admin
Site Admin

Postby FastCrab » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:00 pm

I thought there might be a "Full Tilt" after I typed that! I was speaking figuratively.... Stovy has been hard at work starting the Sailing Center Chesapeake for youth sailing. (http://www.sailingcenterchesapeake.org/SailingCenter/)

It's going to be a little restoration at a time- structure first so I can race, then decking core problem areas, then re-paint the deck.
FastCrab
Contributor

Postby admin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:34 am

Yeah, I was just goofing on the full tilt stuff... thanks for putting up with my nonsense.
I'll go ahead and fix the owners list and map...I gather you will keep the boat at Solmons or are you bringing her around to SMCM? (where I am hoping the youngest will be a student next fall!)
admin
Site Admin

Postby FastCrab » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm

'Zingarella' was at SMCM, they refused the donation due to the keel cracking issue and other issues. For the Foundation, it was too much liability and too much to do something about it. For me the 'sweat equity' formula is perfect. She now lives at Tall Timbers Marina just north of Piney Point. There are a number of sailing associations smattered about the Potomac- and lots of other sailboats too. I am trying currently to get them unified via CBYRA. There is the Middle Potomac SA out of Cobb Island, The 'Barnacle Cup' sailors of Breton Bay, A considerable number could combine at Coles Point/Tall Timbers/the Landings, The Sailing Center Chesapeake (small boat youth sailing, Stovy Brown's current effort) the St. Marys River YC, the Northern Neck SA, and the SMCM SA- separate from the dinghy racing, the Governor's Cup is the only event we currently have.

SO- for the keel problem- I have not seen the cracking below, but the inside I inspected as best I can under the motor looks just like all the other Formulas- so I am not really so worried- should I be? I'd like to sail her October 30th in the last Barnacle Cup race.
FastCrab
Contributor

Postby musicman » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:42 am

FastCrab wrote:'Zingarella' was at SMCM, they refused the donation due to the keel cracking issue and other issues. For the Foundation, it was too much liability and too much to do something about it. For me the 'sweat equity' formula is perfect. She now lives at Tall Timbers Marina just north of Piney Point. There are a number of sailing associations smattered about the Potomac- and lots of other sailboats too. I am trying currently to get them unified via CBYRA. There is the Middle Potomac SA out of Cobb Island, The 'Barnacle Cup' sailors of Breton Bay, A considerable number could combine at Coles Point/Tall Timbers/the Landings, The Sailing Center Chesapeake (small boat youth sailing, Stovy Brown's current effort) the St. Marys River YC, the Northern Neck SA, and the SMCM SA- separate from the dinghy racing, the Governor's Cup is the only event we currently have.

SO- for the keel problem- I have not seen the cracking below, but the inside I inspected as best I can under the motor looks just like all the other Formulas- so I am not really so worried- should I be? I'd like to sail her October 30th in the last Barnacle Cup race.

Sump issues can be serious on 32's send me some pictures of the cracks & also your motor install: friessaildesign@gmail.com
musicman
Loquacious

Postby admin » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:39 pm

John, I sent you a brief note on the Evo sails contact-mailer thing. No rush, but I'm starting to think about sails for the midget sporty and you guys are #1 on my loft list. I'll shoot ya a note on the email addie above.

tf
admin
Site Admin

Postby FastCrab » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 pm

I've decided to keep the name 'Zingarella', but enhanced slightly to Zing!arella. The boat seemed too 'plain', so I am thinking of adding some pzazz as in the enclosed graphic. I've received permission from the woman in the picture so am excited about the idea! What do you think?
FastCrab
Contributor

Postby FastCrab » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:27 pm

Not having any luck with graphics tonight, here's another try;
Attachments
FIrstDerivitave.jpg
FastCrab
Contributor

Postby admin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:50 pm

hah! Nice. That oughta spice up the old girl.
Who is doing your graphics? I will hopefully have a sportboat next spring that will be in need of something provocative!
admin
Site Admin

Postby FastCrab » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:46 pm

I did the design, Molly at Chesapeake Custom Embroidery is getting me a quote together. She did the image this past year for the Governor's Cup poster and T-shirts, which I loved. http://www.cceink.com/

We raced Saturday in a mixed fleet of mostly cruisers. For a thrown together team not used to the Evelyn we did OK and had a ball!
FastCrab
Contributor

Return to General Chatter