Info on Evelyn 32-2 at USMMA

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Info on Evelyn 32-2 at USMMA

Postby admin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:33 pm

I got this from a midshipsman at the USMMA and was wondering if anyone knows which boat this is/was:

"The United States Merchant Marine Academy has just acquired an Evelyn
> 32-2 hull SN: FMUO23320783. The Sails which came with the boat were
> 32272. The location of last registration was Rocky River, Ohio. We
> aren't sure the history of the boat. Currently, the boat is under
> restoration to a sailable condition. The interior is gutted but we are
> working on it. There is no name that we know of. Is there any way to
> find out more information on the history of the boat from the serial
> number?"

I cant remember how the serial numbers define the hull number...isn't this hull 33?

tf
admin
Site Admin

Re: Info on Evelyn 32-2 at USMMA

Postby olds_corpion » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:05 pm

What color is the boat? Inboard or outboard? What was the date on the registration? Was there a name on it?
olds_corpion
Browser

Postby musicman » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:17 am

Pretty sure that's hull number 23.
musicman
Loquacious

Postby HobbyMan » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:04 pm

Hello everyone,
I am the skipper of the Evelyn 32 at the US Merchant Marine Academy. I just wanted to say hello. I found this photo of our Evelyn (Zephyr).Image

She is a different color and Zephyr underwent and outboard conversion but everything else looks the same.
HobbyMan
Browser

Postby egon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:40 am

Zephyr is the former Blue Dog. I believe Blue Dog won the 32-2 NAs in 2001. A good friend of mine used to be crew on the boat. Novel setup for cross sheeting on the boat, as long as you don't have to re-run the sheets in a hurry.

--Matt
Short Bus - Evelyn 26 OD - Hull #6
egon
Contributor

Postby Tsunami » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:22 pm

Prior to being named Blue Dog her name was Cartel. She was black then too. The owner of Blue Dog had her repainted white. I crewed on her twice at Key West Race Week. As Cartel she won the Cleveland Sailing Assoc. Lake Erie PHRF Campionship.

David
Tsunami
Browser

Postby stegerd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:08 pm

I was a co-owner of the boat when it was in Grand River Ohio as Cartel. Originally got it from the east coast. Then it was called Yen-Yen. Sold the boat in the fall of 2000 and it became Bluedog out of Cleveland. I built the roller bearing turning block winch bases and the teak cabin floor grid. Are they still in use? We were very successful with the boat and had one simple rule, anything over 8 degrees of heel means you have to change something. We had a light crew and would quickly put in a single reef until a mark rounding allowed a sail change. We were often the only boat reefed, but we looked good going flat in first. I know when you are this flat you hate the neutral to lee helm, but only power up enough to get a sight bite to weather and you'll like the result. There were six active Evelyns in the Cleveland area in the late 1990s and we had a great time beating much more expensive boats in PHRF. VMG is good, DMG, (dollars made good) is even better. Good luck with the boat.
stegerd
Browser

Return to General Chatter