Moderator: Pterobyte

How do we do against.....

Postby GJD » Thu May 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Hi all,

Looks like the fleet at the club consist of:
2 J35's
Swan 41
C&C 37R

I know I will be looking at transoms all summer, but how do we do on these after time correction?
GJD
Contributor

Re: How do we do against.....

Postby GJD » Fri May 07, 2010 9:39 am

Sorry that is Swan 47....
GJD
Contributor

Postby Wild Thing » Fri May 07, 2010 5:12 pm

That's not easy racing against boats that rate from 66 to 81... You should be good OK against Sassafras and My Shadow on short course but the J/35 can be a challenge...

I haven't seen the splits at PCYC for 2010 but I usually find myself as the fast boat in the 102 to 120 division...
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby GJD » Sat May 08, 2010 7:29 am

I was wondering about the division breakdown. Ours is 0 - 150 for the "fast fleet". Seems like a pretty wide range. I was hoping to hear that I could catch some of these things, but looking at hte J35, it is basically a bigger Evelyn. Maybe I will catch them on time, they do seem to owe a lot. I haven't done much PRHF racing, I have just heard people bitch about it. Maybe it's my turn to start :)
GJD
Contributor

Postby admin » Sat May 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Our principle competition for 3-4 years on Wednesday nights was a J35. We had a hard time with them. Out of 10 races, they'd usually beat us 6 or 7. In the light stuff we'd be OK, but they would just waterline us in any sort of chop, which was usually pretty prevalent in the SE sea-breeze we get...there's a lot of fetch in that direction, too. But it was rare they'd do a horizon job, we were usually in the hunt. I miss those days.

After I sold the boat I raced on that J35 for a couple of season, doing bow. For a 25+ year old design, they are terrific boats. Not cheap to keep a competitive sail inventory though!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Motorboat!! » Sun May 16, 2010 3:54 pm

We have the same thing down here. There are 2 J-35s we race against. We usually hold our own with them, but it is very tough in anything other than ideal conditions upwind and down. Anything less and they usually waterline us. Plus being the faster boat, they usually get to dictate your tactics to you if they are ahead.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby GJD » Fri May 21, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks! I have been out for 3 races, two double handed, and I had my 14 year old step daughter out last night. Great fun upwind but I need another set of hands -- coming soon -- for the chute. I can see keeping with them in the light - med stuff, heavy air it is goodbye I think. I should also note that I have ancient sails and am in need of an upgrade. Maybe next year.

Interestingly enough, one night it was a constant 15, hitting 20+ in puffs once we rounded we were actually catching the J35's wth just a blade up.
GJD
Contributor

Return to General Chatter