Lake Ontario

introductions, networking...whatever

Moderator: Pterobyte

Re: Lake Ontario

Postby GJD » Fri May 14, 2010 5:04 pm

Hi Guy,

Sounds like you can make use of the time on land. Pretty sure I could as well, but I am just taking it sailing this year and waiting for stuff to break :) I had Eve out last night with no reefs, storm jib and one crew...needless to say I barely moved upwind but went real fast on the way back.

Do you have any measurements for the boat, in terms of rake? My mast seems to be pretty far forward but the step is slid into a position that would indicate I have the max rake back?? Odd.

Anyway good luck getting into the water,
Greg.
GJD
Contributor

Postby Wild Thing » Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 am

Sorry Greg, I don't have measurements... Definitely something I would love to look into at some point; although I must admit, I haven't raced the boat enough to know the difference yet...

Guy
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby GJD » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 pm

Well, summer came and went pretty quick. While we had our moments our there, I certainly have a lot to learn in order to sail this thing to its rating. Several problems, skipper who yelled to much at other boats, lack of crew (maybe related?), frankensail for a main, LOL. Despite all that, it really was fun and I did develop a good core group to move forward into next season.....with the promise of no communications to the outside world while racing :)

I had a trailer built so if the financial gods permit, I might get out for a US event for next year. Thinking Mac. My little girl is growing up quickly and of course she will pretty much determine a racing schedule but I am sure but we get out regularly at the club to mix it up with the J35's, Santa 30, and I forget what Steve Green's boat is - but "spectrum" rates 144 and destroys me on a regular basis.

To be fair, we didn't use a watch once on the start and pretty much set out to build crew and have some fun. The trouble came when I as a small boat sailor actually expected people to do spins. I will never get into an online shouting match (its bad enough onthe water) but what is the deal? How is it possible that I am the only boat to do spins all year?? (Once for a mark, and once due to an override on the winch taking around the windward and fowling.)

So the plan next year is to suck it up, not care. But the secret plan is that I have taken about 600 - 800 LBS of crap off the boat, the bottom was never scrubbed and my new main has arrived. My forestay length was only 40 feet, as soon as I got up to 15 knots I was over powered. So I am going to 40'4", adding the other 400 LBs of crew, and going out to get beat up again :)

I am also buying a protest flag and designating a crew member (of the calm nature) to enforce the rules. It sucks because our protest nights are on a non-race night so you lose another night during the week. It also breaks a key rule I have always lived by - don't protest at club races. Unfortunately with a boat this big, it now costs a lot of money to go out and sail against folks that probably haven't spun a boat in 10 years.
GJD
Contributor

Postby Wild Thing » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Greg, I wouldn't feel too bad getting "destroyed" by Spectrum! She's an Express 30 btw, designed by Steve Killing, the same man who's designed the wing sail on Canaan, the Little America's Cup 2010 winner and has more recently worked on the wing sail for the Moths. He knows a thing or two about creating fast designs. When you add Steve Green to the equation, it makes for a pretty good mix!

We could never keep up with them racing level on a CS 30 a number of years ago...
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Postby admin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:47 am

Greg, you have hit upon one of my biggest pet-peeves when it comes to weeknight racing, the failure of people who know better to accept the fact that they've fouled and need to spin. It got so bad with one club down here, the Commodore of that club had to issue a directive (in the form of a firm but gentle reminder) to the entire list.proc of the club that they need to accept Rule 2 and do their turns or face suspension.

In fact, I'd approach your OA (organizing authority) and ask them to consider addressing this issue publicly and firmly. It's flat out dangerous racing 30+ foot boats when no one honors the rules.

We got completely fed-up one year when someone fouled us and we protested him...at the PC meeting he said, "But we only fouled you a little!" Uh....huh.

You, who have dinghy experience, should have some gravitas with the OA! Wake them up! Mention liability!!!
admin
Site Admin

Postby GJD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Liability, man has it come to that? I bet you are right and that is just sad.
GJD
Contributor

Postby admin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Yeah, it is sad, but if it leads to a club racing environment where people play by the rules, then I guess (and I emphasize the word "guess") it might not be such a bad thing.

For example: a club I know, and race with occasionally, has, as a condition for renewal of their liability insurance, each year mandated that all racing skippers attend a meeting where a rules exam is given. The scoring is not rigorous and the test is not difficult, but it sends a message that THERE ARE RULES. This club historically has very, very few protest meetings and incidents of contact are extremely rare (although, I must admit that 2 of them, in 5 years, were with boats I owned...of course, neither of them were my fault!!!).

Have a great season, pray for SPRING!
admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Chatter