Reaching

what's fast and what isn't

Moderator: Pterobyte

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:08 pm

Without a doubt, I can say that the Gulf Yachting Association (GYA) would absolutely penalize an a-sail. They penalize EVERYTHING down here! On the Farr 36 I used to race on, they hit us 3 seconds for replacing the stainless headstay with a PBO one. Also, they will only allow EITHER asym or sym, but not both on a particular boat.
If I had an endless budget, I would like to get some sort of "luff supported reaching spinnaker" (i.e. blast reacher)
Can't hurt to dream
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

PHRF Adjustment for Asymmetric Spinnakers

Postby darkstar32170 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:15 pm

PHRF-NB (Narragansett Bay) does not penalize a boat for carrying and using both symmetrical and asymmetrical spinnakers, however you are limited to using 3 spinnakers (and 4 upwind sails over 95%LP). You are allowed a Code 0 without a rating hit and it does not count against the 3 spinnaker or 4 upwind sail limitation.

If you will use only asymmetric spinnakers tacked to the bow (no spinnaker pole) you can get a credit of 9 sec/mi.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Re: Reaching

Postby admin » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:26 pm

We have data from the Detroit area from someone else on this board:

Lake M and Lake E, and assuming Lake St. Clair, no penalty for using both types in a single season.

Thanks for all the input thus far.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:14 am

Rant against PHRF of the Chesapeake here:
http://www.nbayracing.com/

Next step, local reps.
admin
Site Admin

Postby musicman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:30 am

That's awesome! love the plastic dinasour!! The photos are very good for comparison....
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:49 am

Wow, that was heated. Can you post it on SailingAnarchy?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby admin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:15 pm

I dont know. I'm pretty burnt out on SA....too much hate and adolescent bickering. I dont have the energy or time to deal with it.
If anyone else wants to post a link to it, that's fine with me.

It's a bit harsh but it just reflects how fed up I am with these bozoes...it isn't so much their retaining the penalty after all these
years, it's that they won't even bring it up for discussion AND the penalty is hidden in all the on-line documents (pdfs, htms, whatever)...they say you
CAN race with both, but conveniently fail to mention the fact that you are going to get nailed with a 6 sec. penalty...I mean, why dont
they just come out and say "Using both types of spin at your own discretion during the season will affect your rating."

ON the other hand, it aint like I'M volunteering for anything ;LOL:
admin
Site Admin

Postby jabooker » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 am

West Florida PHRF does not as long as it is within max dimensions. It did in the past, but the penalty was for having both, not for having an a-kite per se. This changed here when KWRW PHRF backed off their penalty. I think it was 2004.
jabooker
New Here

Previous

Return to Evelyn 32-2 Racing Tips