Reaching

what's fast and what isn't

Moderator: Pterobyte

Reaching

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:20 pm

So it comes to mind that while the boat goes W/L like a beast, it is not well known to be a reaching boat. The question is, how do you make the boat sail to it's rating on a reach? Discuss.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby admin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Jib reaching: outboard sheeting, outboard sheeting and more outboard sheeting. Fat sections, powered up everywhere & hike it flat!

DW w/kite: light stuff, fraculate and soak, it'll go ok. Center crew mass if it's lumpy, the lumpier it is the more people are sitting on each other's lap. Med to Hvy, keep the boat under the rig and hold on, twing on hard and a little heat every now and then to kill the rollie-pollies.

It took us a while to figure out how important crew weight distribution is on these things...get crew where they need to be as soon as possible and make sure they stay there. Get the choreography worked out and it makes a difference.

other opinions may vary.
admin
Site Admin

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:16 pm

against standard boats (non-sprit boats) the 32 is VERY good. For it's rating the boat is quite long & is very efficient. It helps to have the right sails!!
Here are some reaching shots for you:

musicman
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:40 am

What is that first sail shown? I love it. Is that some sort of jib topper or something?
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:20 pm

Cuben Fiber Code Zero. Give me a call if you have any questions about the sails.
John Fries
UK Halsey Mystic
860 536 4235
musicman
Loquacious

Postby admin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:40 pm

Hey John, did PHRFNE assign any rating hit for that Code Z?
admin
Site Admin

Postby musicman » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:05 pm

No as long as it meets the rules for an A sail. Not all PHRF areas are the same though....
We didn't end up using the sail much, 10 or so times. The biggest issue is there's no room for a furler, which makes it harder to set & douse.
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:21 pm

I want to put an A sail in my inventory but the Southern Chesapeake Bay hits me for 6 seconds unless I use ONLY an A sail??? What are others seeing?
Last edited by Pterobyte on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby FlatlineE32 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:09 am

ECSA (long island sound) doesn't hit us for an A sail. 6 seconds is a big hit for an A sail. My a-sail is really fast, but it is only beneficial when the RC sends us off on some course that involves a bit of reaching. Talk to Musicman, he makes some fast sails for these boats.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby admin » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:34 pm

I had a fairly long "discussion" with PHRF of the Ches, after I bought that red A sail from you, John. I think I really had them going, brought up how other venues dont penalize having both types of downwind inventory on PHRF boats, yada yada. I even got someone to chime in that it would be good business and the local lofts would love it. NO GO....their only rationale? They didn't want to START AN ARMS RACE! Like one didn't exist already. As far as I know, PHRF of the 'Peake does not impose any button liimits per year or per season or per boat.

Anyway, it pissed me off. I already had 4 DW sails in my inventory some of which were pretty good....so if I started using the A sail I'd have to stop using the other 4 or get nicked for 6 seconds. The A sail pretty much stayed in the bag....the whole thing seemed so arbitrary.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:19 pm

How long ago was that, is worth running it up again???
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:58 pm

admin wrote:I had a fairly long "discussion" with PHRF of the Ches, after I bought that red A sail from you, John. I think I really had them going, brought up how other venues dont penalize having both types of downwind inventory on PHRF boats, yada yada. I even got someone to chime in that it would be good business and the local lofts would love it. NO GO....their only rationale? They didn't want to START AN ARMS RACE! Like one didn't exist already. As far as I know, PHRF of the 'Peake does not impose any button liimits per year or per season or per boat.

Anyway, it pissed me off. I already had 4 DW sails in my inventory some of which were pretty good....so if I started using the A sail I'd have to stop using the other 4 or get nicked for 6 seconds. The A sail pretty much stayed in the bag....the whole thing seemed so arbitrary.

WOW that is some serious PHRF bullshit!! There should be NO penalty.
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 am

I had long conversation with our PHRF officer. He told me the question comes up every year it looks like they are going to stick with it.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby admin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:16 pm

I think it's always a good idea to bring up something in the sport that is either stupid or arbitrary or bad for the sport, so I would have another go at it. I'll talk to our PHRF rep up here, promise you that. We need to make a stink about this, in my opinion.

I'll start a THREAD on SA and see what happens....that's always good for a laugh. :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Without eating up a lot of man-hours and time (read: I'm lazy) can people get back to me about whether or not their particular local PHRF org does or does not penalize an A-sail? Can start here:

PHRF of the Ches: Penaly 6 second (if used in same season as a sym sail)
PHRF NE: No penalty
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Evelyn 32-2 Racing Tips