Tuning Guide

what's fast and what isn't

Moderator: Pterobyte

Tuning Guide

Postby Wild Thing » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:09 pm

Does anyone have anything that vaguely resembles a tuning guide for the Evelyn 32-2.
Wild Thing is being hauled out this week and I'm already planning for the Spring; I know I will have a million questions when it comes time to put her back together.
All I have at this point is Loo Gauge numbers for the shrouds scribbled on a battred piece of paper; anything better than that would go a long way.
I'm particularly interested in proper headstay length (since mine has been repaired), mast butt location, rake and pre-bend, etc.

Thanks, Guy
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Tuning Guide

Postby darkstar32170 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 pm

I don't think there's ever been any sort of tuning guide written for the 32-2. Since it was never a one-design there aren't any one-design rules that establish rig limitations and since there were less than 60 boats there isn't anything like a North Sails Tuning Guide.

I would think the best professional sources would be Ben Hall (Hall Spars, Bristol, RI and part owner of "Bluto") and John Fries (UK Halsey Sails, Mystic, CT and owner of "Remedy").

Because there is a serious lack of weather helm, I try to get the sailplan as far aft as I can get it. You can achieve this by raking the mast as much as you can. This means moving the mast step forward as far as possible and maximizing headstay length. "Dark Star's" headstay when I got her was an old Hood Gemini headfoil. This was, I believe, an aluminum extrusion that was the headstay. There was no stainless steel wire inside it. It probably was original equipment. The interesting thing was that it had two toggles added to it to lengthen it an additional 3". As my boat was originally owned (and built) by Ben Hall I suspect that he added them. So I think that there were early efforts to lengthen the headstay beyond the original dimension. You need to create as much weather helm as possible on this boat so that the rudder is at a positive angle of attack when going upwind. The boat will go to weather much better, not only will it feel better but the hydrodynamics are better.

I normally set up the shrouds tight enough to keep the leeward shrouds from going slack. If they do go slack its an indication that the mast is falling off to leeward and is probably not straight under a sailing load. I don't have any Loos gauge numbers. I have a gauge but never use it. Maybe I'll try it in the spring and we can exchange numbers. I always found that in the Great Lakes I had better results with a rig set a little looser than I do now in Narragansett Bay. You have more light air in the summer, we have a very reliable afternoon seabreeze (10-15 knots).

Has anyone moved their checkstays aft to the transom? I know they would be more effective there but then they would require resetting on each tack. There is a Evelyn 26 here that has done this. They were originally located on the cabin trunk because under MORC rules as long as they were within a certain distance of the mast there was no penalty. I think Bob liked the setup and kept it for the 32-2.

I'd be interested in how other owners set up their rigs.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Wild Thing » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:34 pm

Thanks David, very valuable info!
I too have the original Hood headstay and it need/should be replaced soon... I'll try to remember to measure the headstay when she comes out on Thursday; we can possibly compare notes. I will also dig out those Loo Gauge numbers and share them.
My checkstays are in the original (I assume...) location on the sides of the cabin top.
I have to setup something to share pictures; I have taken a whole bunch on the week-end while I was taking her apart. Stay tuned...

Guy
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Hood Headstay

Postby darkstar32170 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:29 am

I wish I still had my Hood headfoil. I believe that it was lighter than a "Tuff Luff" around a 1/4" wire headstay and problably less stretchy too. You'll find that there is a splice in the Hood headfoil at about midlength. Mine started to open up so that the sail would come out of the headfoil as you hoisted the sail if you didn't have tension on the luff of the sail, especially as the head of the sail passed this point. I tried squeezing if back together but all attempts failed. If I remember right my new replacement headstay was supposed to measure 45'-0", but the fabricator (I won't use his name) pressed on the wrong fitting at the top and had to replace it. So I again have a couple toggles below the turnbuckle.

The original location of the checkstays is between the ports on the cabin trunk sides.

Also a good source of the miscellaneous rig parts, in particular the more custom fabrications, is Rig Rite (http://rigrite.com/index.htm). They bought the Kenyon assets and catalog when Kenyon went out of business.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Hello All,
I'll write up a tunning guide for you shortly, will try to get it done this week. I've got some good info. :wink:
The guide will work best with my designs though...
John Fries
"Remedy"
UK Halsey Sailmakers
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:38 am

That's great! I would love to see that.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious