Sailing the Evelyn 32 to windward

what's fast and what isn't

Moderator: Pterobyte

Sailing the Evelyn 32 to windward

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:01 pm

I have a difficult time competing with other boats (Shock 35, Olson911, J105, J100) to windward. It seems like I am always 5 degrees off their heading. Do other Eveyln 32 sailors have this problem? I am wondering if it is boat design, old sails, or poor skipper.

Thanks,

Doug
rocklobster
Contributor

Postby admin » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:56 pm

we definitely had that problem, initially. Take heart in the fact that the boats really do point like demons and there's a definite learning curve to getting the right mix of speed and altitude.

first off, though, in what kind of pressure are you having difficulties pointing? Heavy or light or all of the above? What is your inventory like (age, condition, etc.)

It's hard to tell where to start w/o some more specific info and also how you have your rig tuned.
admin
Site Admin

Postby formerVE32owner » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:56 pm

There isn't anything that should be higher than the Eveyln on the list you have.

Lets hear some on sailing conditions (wind sp, chop, waves) sails (make, year, condition) rig tune?

There isn't a lot out there that is going to be higher in 8-12 kts and flat water with a good inventory.
formerVE32owner
Browser

More specifics...

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:54 am

I am talking about perfect E-32 conditions... 8-13 knts, smooth Puguet Sound sailing. My sails are old-- I think original. However, they haven't been used much and "seem" to have good shape. I flatten the heck out of them (backstay, outhaul, cunningham) in an attempt to point higher... to no avail. I only have 1, 2 crew on board so we are heeling quite a bit. Would going to the no. 3 headsail help? Any thoughts?
rocklobster
Contributor

Regarding Rig tune...

Postby rocklobster » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:56 am

I don't know much about rig tune, so I don't know how to describe how my rig is tuned, or what to change.
rocklobster
Contributor

First Race

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:35 pm

I just did the first race for my boat. It killed the J109 and J015 going to weather in 8-10 kts flat water.

Here is my setup.

Head stay is at about 40', with about 18' - 24" of sag
Step of mast is all the way forward plus about 2", plate has been added.
Mast blocked all the way forward at the deck.

Keep the boat powered up( sails full - not flat ) and the speed up. The boat angle appears low but the speed actually lifts th boat. Pinching kills it until the wind picks up.

That is my initial experience anyway.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Thank you!

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:11 am

I have been sailing with sails VERY FLAT. I will the alternative.
rocklobster
Contributor

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:25 am

Let me know how you do. Keep the speed up then point. Bring the jib fairlead cars forward to close the top and belly the bottom of the jib. All this works until you get over powered then start to flatten the sales:

As the wind builds ~ Flattening:
Put on some backstay, jack stays.
Jib car back, twist off the top of the jib, flatten the foot.
main outhaul out, ease some vang and traveler use the top of the sail but keep the boat up, don't let lay down lay down. The boat feels faster laying down but it is not.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby admin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:15 pm

I hate to say it but I think the issue lies in trying to get altitude with only 3-4 people on the boat. The keel needs to be deep to get the boat to point. You can try going to the 3 but the boats that have larger overlapping sails and plenty of crew are going to eat your lunch. These are terrific boats but they are meant to powered up and flattened by human ballast which means bigger crews. I know "Former" could win with 6-7 on board, but on my boat we used to carry the 155 pretty far uprange in the breeze and pile on 8 or 9, hiking hard. Powered up and flat is the key, in my opinion, and it's probably why you are bow down on the fleet.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pterobyte » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:40 am

admin wrote:I hate to say it but I think the issue lies in trying to get altitude with only 3-4 people on the boat. The keel needs to be deep to get the boat to point. You can try going to the 3 but the boats that have larger overlapping sails and plenty of crew are going to eat your lunch. These are terrific boats but they are meant to powered up and flattened by human ballast which means bigger crews. I know "Former" could win with 6-7 on board, but on my boat we used to carry the 155 pretty far uprange in the breeze and pile on 8 or 9, hiking hard. Powered up and flat is the key, in my opinion, and it's probably why you are bow down on the fleet.

That is great advice, thanks! I was thinking light boat, light crew.... wrong!
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:08 pm

I'm working on a tunning & setup guide for the forum, should have it done a day or so.
As was mentioned there is very little out there that should have height over a well set up 32, they are amazing upwind!
Crew weight is your first place to start. I anything over 12 knots we race with 8 people roughly weighing 1440.

musicman
Loquacious

Postby admin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 pm

nice shots, John!

only...how the hell did you insert them?????
admin
Site Admin

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:01 pm

Thanks, they bring back some great memories. Nothing like winning big events with good friends on board!

The best thing to do with the photos is create a photobucket acount: photobucket.com
Upload your images there & paste the .img tag into your post. It's as easy as that!
John
musicman
Loquacious

Postby admin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:49 pm

Yeah, definitely the Big One with the KWRW event.

Just to underscore John and his crew's accomplishment with that KW victory, I raced against the N/M 30 "Invincible" for a bunch of seasons here on the Chesapeake, and there is no question they were the dominant PHRF program in the these parts for a long while....they surplanted Bruce Gardner's "L'Outrage" which for an even longer time was The Boat To Beat.

"Invincible" was one of the most dialed-in, tricked out rides around, (and the people on board were a great bunch, too) and folks in PHRF A3 (A2 for awhile) appreciated the level of Game "Invincible" brought to the Annapolis area, if not always the sight of their transom.

The fact that John and the "Remedy" crew handed them their hats at KW is nothing short of amazing and is testimony to the time the Remedy folks put into boat prep and sail design. Trust me, nothing short of excellence would have stood up to "Invincible's" program...having seen their tranny so many times on a bunch of PHRF A3 rides, I know from what I speak!
:lol:
admin
Site Admin

Return to Evelyn 32-2 Racing Tips