Weight allocation

what's fast and what isn't

Moderator: Pterobyte

Weight allocation

Postby Motorboat!! » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:36 am

With no inboard, and having made the boat as light as I think I possibly can, it seems that the boat sits very bow down in the water. I suppose that with more natural volume in the stern of the boat, once all the motor related equipment was removed, the stern likes to ride up. We have started sailing with everything (including outboard, sails, etc.) under the cockpit. Also, when going upwind, our crew weight seems to be favoring the aft more than forward.
Does this seem odd to anybody, or are we on the right track?
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Bow Down Trim

Postby darkstar32170 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:07 pm

All the boats w/ outboards float with significant bow down trim. "Dark Star" always has. Go to http://davidlodgestudios.com/photo02.html to see it.

We still keep crew weight and other heavy items centered in the boat in all but off wind +15knot TWS conditions. We place the outboard over the keel when racing (aft under the cockpit when cruising).
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Bow Down

Postby Pterobyte » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Mine, w/outboard, is also bow down. We race with the outboard stowed below aft under the cockpit on the protrusion that looks like it was made to secure the outboard to. That holds the outboard real well but it is a pain to get to. Thank goodness for the swinging ladder. I don't like the outboard over the keel because it does not secure well.

Being new the the 32 I'd love to hear thoughts about where to put the outboard during racing.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Outboard Stowage

Postby darkstar32170 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:08 pm

We actually place the head of the outboard between the mast and the side of the bunk. Its very secure there - doesn't move no matter how we're heeled. We do have a larger outboard than most. Its an 8HP Tohatsu with a super long shaft (not just a long shaft - its an additional 5 inches longer than a normal long shaft). Its very heavy too, around 65 pounds, and is a bear to remove and replace on the transom. In this location it might be a little farther forward than optimal but I think that its better than under the cockpit.

About 20 years ago I was on a small MORC boat that actually had an outboard bracket placed high on the mast in the cabin. The outboard could than be affixed there. It was out of the way and it was upright which helps keep the fuel reservoir from emptying. Ours does if you place the head of the motor below the prop.

I would love an inboard. Yep, its a lot of weight. I'm interested in the Saildrive 330 by Arne Jonsson Boatbuilders. Its actually the head of a 15hp Yamaha outboard attached to a saildrive unit. Weighs 110 pounds. Looks like it would be pretty easy to install myself. The only hard part would be getting it aboard (probably need a crane or gin pole or something similar. Go to: http://www.saildrive280.com/ for more info.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Wild Thing » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:58 am

I also have a rather heavy (Johnson 8hp Long Shaft) outboard on Wild Thing; it's nice and powerful to get to the start line on time, but we have yet to bother removing it for racing because of the burden and risk associated with it.
I like the idea of a bracket on the mast; definitely something worth investigating further after haulout (which is unfortunately not far off...)
Guy Perrin
Evelyn 32-2 "Wild Thing" 32144
Port Credit, ON
Wild Thing
Avid Fan

Worked Like Charm

Postby Pterobyte » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:20 pm

We started the second fall series race under dubious weather. It rained all night as was looking do do so all day. Surprise, it turned out to be very fine, but light day.

We had about 5-8 knots of wind.
I put the outboard next to the mast. I put the crew weight low and forward, getting the wetted surface area down. We beet the tar off the J105's, our deeper downwind ability helped too.

When I pinched the boat up to weather keeping the inside tell tails flowing at 45 degs we were slow but high. When I dropped them down flying aft with just an occasion flutter we were faster and higher. I have been driving a J109 for over a year and on that boat you just have to keep the tell tails soft and up.

So i am learning the boat.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:12 pm

In anything over 12 knots you should have one person sitting behind the helmsman. Especially on IB boats with the motor over the sump.
Here is a fairly extreme example, 25+ knots of wind, correct crew placement.

musicman
Loquacious

Return to Evelyn 32-2 Racing Tips