Able poitin 24 Information

Moderator: Pterobyte

Able poitin 24 Information

Postby poitin24 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:17 pm

I figured I would stop in to let a few of you know that I am restoring an 1976 Able Poitin 24. Ive been trying to find as much information as possible and would love to get some pictures of the boat.

Also I can upload some pictures of the boat if anyone wants to see its progress.

Thanks any information helps!
poitin24
Contributor

Postby admin » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:38 pm

Hey, that's cool as heck. Where did you find the boat and what needs to be done? Is it the former Hakuna Matata? Congrats on getting the "Homebrew" and better brush up on your Gaelic!
admin
Site Admin

Postby poitin24 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Nope, I actually picked it up in Gainesville, Florida where I live. An old friend of one of my professors had it sitting on his farm. It had been there for around 8 years on a wooden cradle.
I went out and found a solid old bass boat trailer and welded on some stantions and supports and picked up the boat using a forklift. The boat is in rough condition but nothing some effort and time cant fix! Right now Im in the middle of recoring a small spot of deck and putting in new bulkheads

heres a few pictures

poitin24
Contributor

Postby musicman » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:09 pm

Cool old boat...the original J 24!
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:42 pm

Wow, what a great find! Have fun with it. Keep us posted.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby admin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:36 am

Yes, definitely keep us posted, please. Pretty amazing that Bob Evelyn was tooling up this design when Johnstone was almost, pretty much, simultaneously building "Ragtime," esepcially considering the similarities of the 2 boats. I hope you get a chance to race a few J24's, head to head, sometime, once you get done with the refit!
admin
Site Admin

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:14 am

what is the whole story behind this Evenly / Johnstone development of the '24'. Did I hear that there was some bad blood between the two over it? Anybody write a book?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby poitin24 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:43 am

Its always been a question in my mind which came first! They are strikingly similar.

The most obvious things would be that the Poitin has a bigger cabin and a shorter cockpit and its displacement is 3700lbs while I think the J24 is around 3200. Oh and also the open stern.

Anyway I will keep everyone posted of progress, I just cut out the new bulkheads tonight out of a marine ply with cherry veneer and they look great. Not very hard to make the templates either. Once I complete the glassing of the new bulkheads and to seal up the recored deck, it will be on to repainting the interior
poitin24
Contributor

Re: Able poitin 24

Postby poitin24 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Alright heres a little update on the boat.

The boat has been under a shelter for quite some time. It was the first thing I did when I got the boat. Its pretty much just a big pvc frame 15 by 30 with a roof high enough to walk around on the boat. I also put two 4ft shop lights in there so I could work at night.

Although the hardware was pretty finicky on the boat I eventually got everything thing off, the hardware holes are drilled bigger, remmed out, and filled with thickened epoxy. the soft spot in the deck is now fixed and has new core and I will be refiberglassing the skin sometime this week.

All the new backing plates and bulkheads are cut out of a piece of marine cherry ply and varnished. Once I glass the inner skin back on the new core I will epoxy and glass in the new bulkheads so I can go about painting the whole interior.

Ill put up some pictures later in the day of the progress
poitin24
Contributor

Postby mal624 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:36 pm

mal624
Contributor

Postby admin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:58 pm

Darn, if I were not building something in the backyard, I'd bid on that. It would be a hoot to race against the J24's in my club.
admin
Site Admin

Postby santone » Tue May 12, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi,
I'm the soon-to-be ex-owner of Able Poitin 24 "HAKUNA MATATA" (photo at top left of home page) . It was sold "sight unseen" to Mike W. and will go to its new home in Westbrook Ct. later this month. Mike was in Korea for a while and had his buddy Dave inspect the boat prior to his purchase.
I've owned several lightnings, an Island 17' and a 1935 28' Winthrop Warner Cutter. The Hakuna Matata was as much fun to sail as any of them. I owned it for ten years and would single hand it often since it's an easy boat to sail and very forgiving with it's 10' beam. In a blow it would handle beautifully with just the genny and often I'd sail it right up to the mooring with just a fraction of the genny deployed. Although I'll miss the this boat I'm very involved reactivating the WoodPussy class, a 13 1/2' catboat of Philip l. Rhodes design. I've restored 4 of them in the past 5 years and sent another half dozen to racing fleets in NJ and Michigan. We now have a fleet here on Long Island, where after a pause of 35 years, the boat is being built again in fiberglass at the Frank M. Weeks Yacht Yard in Patchogue http://www.wpcatboats.com.
Happy Sailing to all!
Tony DEloia East Northport NY
santone
New Here

Postby santone » Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 pm

HI,
My Deal to sell the Able Poitin 24' Hakuna Matata (photo top left -this website) fell through two days prior to the new owner picking up the boat. I'm really bummed. I re-listed it for $5600 but I'm seriously motivated to sell it since my health will not permit me to sail it for another season. The boat is in the water in Northport Harbor (NY) and is all set to sail for the season - fully equipped.
Call Tony 631-368-8253 if you're interested
santone
New Here

Postby admin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:40 pm

Anyone on this board part of the crew that took the Able P. out for ALIR a couple weeks ago? The ALIR entry list shows STALKER - ABLE POINTIN 24 - Alexi Vasiliev (I'm not sure if ALexi ever signed up here).

I'd love to get the low-down from someone on board that night....people may or may not know, it was nukin' that evening and only 9 boats out of more than 60 entries finished....a blurb here:

http://www.nbayracing.com

and a thread on SA about the ALIR race.

tf
admin
Site Admin

Postby poitin24 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:48 pm

I would also love to hear more about that boat. I have only contacted one person with another poitin and that was the owner of hakuna matata that is the top left picture on the banner of this page. I am well into the restoring of mine and have a bunch of questions for any owner out there
poitin24
Contributor

Next

Return to Able Poitin 24