Able Poitin 24 - Newbie Questions

Moderator: Pterobyte

Able Poitin 24 - Newbie Questions

Postby nwatson76 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:58 pm

I have recently purchased an Able Poitin in July of this year. The boat sails well and is structurally sound. The deck contains no noticeable soft spots. The sail inventory is good, with all sails in good to excellent condition. The Main and 170% Genoa are racing laminates approximately 5 years old. Halyards and sheets have seen better days.

My intention is to have the boat race ready by next spring. Currently sailing at a club on the North shore of Lake Ontario.

After many hours of searching the internet, I have quickly found that there is a very little out there (discussion forums) regarding these boats. I was wondering if anyone in the forum could point me in the right direction regarding any of the following:

1. There are two standard blocks mounted on the pullpit (one port, and one starboard) at the attachment point for the life lines. Can't figure out what these blocks do exactly. I'm not sure if they serve a purpose or if they are extras.

2. The boat did not come with a baby stay. What diameter of stay would be appropriate?

3. The pin on the Starboard genoa sheeting car is not functional. Anyone know where to find suitable replacement parts?

4. I am about to get my PHRF certificate. I understand the variability of PHRF from region to region but was wondering what I might expect for my FS NFS ratings?

I appreciate you guidance and time.

Neil
nwatson76
New Here

Re: Able Poitin 24 - Newbie Questions

Postby poitin24 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:44 pm

You are correct that there is very little information to be found about these boats. I picked one up about two years ago and am almost finished with the restoration. Although I cannot help you with any of the racing aspect of the boat, I can help you with some of the rigging things and where to source parts. By "baby stay" I assume you are refering to the smaller stay under the main forestay? The main stays on my boat were rigged with 3/16 wire while the baby stay was rigged with 5/32" and looked to be the original rigging.

A great place to source most of the parts for this boat is www.rigrite.com although sometimes the prices are steep.

Let me know if you have any questions.
-John
poitin24
Contributor

Re: Able Poitin 24 - Newbie Questions

Postby nwatson76 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:21 pm

IMG_1713.JPG

Hi John,

I appreciate the reply. Attached is a picture of my Poitin. I can share more if you find them useful. I would really like to see some pictures of your restoration. My email address is my member name @rogers.com (I posted my email this way to keep the spammers out of my mailbox :-)

Yes I was referring to the stay under the main forestay and thanks for the wire dimensions.

I will check out the website you provided. At first glance, I see that they supply mast sections and booms for the Poitin. I'll definitely bookmark the site.

Some other questions related to instrumentation:

1. Did your Poitin come with a built in Knot meter (mounted right below the companionway)?

2. If so, was it a Signet Knot Log? (see picture below). I am looking for replacement parts. I believe that the meter is malfunctioning somewhere between the sensor and the knot log display device. A little winter project.

nwatson76
New Here

Return to Able Poitin 24