need help with evelyn 42 rebuild

Moderator: Pterobyte

need help with evelyn 42 rebuild

Postby firstamos » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Hello, I'm in the process of getting an old ev 42 and would really apreciate any help from anyone willing. What I'm getting basically is a solid hull and deck. The mast and boom are with the boat along with the rudder. All instruments have been stripped. I will be able to get the keel and sails from the owner if they can be found. The complete inners have been stripped also. My mechanic friend tells me the engine should run without much work. I have a few friends that are excited about helping with this dream of mine, but none of us have ever seen an Evelyn. So we could use all the help we can get. I can provide photos of the boat if anyone is interested. FirstAmos
firstamos
New Here

Re: need help with evelyn 42 rebuild

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:08 pm

Sounds like a real job. When it comes time to do the inside we can offer some design help. Pterodactyl was redone and made for alot of great room. One of the best mods they did was to put a sail drive on it. They mix and matched it to the engine and made a new bell hosesing so they didn't have to buy a whole system. Move the engine aft helps weight and provides some great room inside.

Get us some pictures of the the project when you get a chance.
thanks!
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:27 am

Agree with the saildrive. From what I remember, the prop shaft on Heartbeat was undersupported, so there was lots of shaft bending, and it would even thow a blade every so often.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:13 pm

When the engine on Pterodactyl was moved aft it went just under the ladder. A new engine cover/box was made intregrated with the steps and made a great platform for the pit person as well. This just used up some on used space so it is like the engine is totally gone in comparison, now that the whole cabin sole is open.

They also cut walk throughs in the froward bulkhead turning the head area into a line storage. This opened up cabin so looks a lot bigger inside. It also allows for for better storage of headsails.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Return to Evelyn 42