Evelyn 26 on Lake Norman

Moderator: Pterobyte

Evelyn 26 on Lake Norman

Postby Yuri » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:00 am

Hello everyone,

I own an Evelyn 26 and found this website/forum by searching for other Evelyn owners.
I really enjoy sailing the boat and I am looking forward to learning and sharing information with
other Evelyn owners (of all types).

I'll try to post some pictures of my Evelyn soon. Its between names at the moment, but was formerly know as "Golden Dream".
I don't know the full history of the boat yet. Currently its sailing on Lake Norman near Charlotte North Carolina.

Thanks
Yuri
Yuri
Browser

Re: Evelyn 26

Postby Pterobyte » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:09 pm

That's great! I was just thinking about sailing on Lake Norman. What are the facilities like for launching?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby Yuri » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:52 pm

Hello,
There are several public launch ramps which are quite nice with multiple ramp lanes and ample parking.
Several marinas offer private ramps for modest fees, ~$10-$25.
The lake is very long north to south with only one bridge across above the dam. Most (all) sailing is done on the south side of the HWY 150 bridge.
If you are coming from the North, down I-77, I recommend you check out All Seasons Marina for a good place to launch. Its got good proximity
to the interstate and a full feature marina with everything you might need, including the only rolling sling lift on the lake. It very nice facility.

The east side of the lake is highly developed, the west side much more rural. If you do come down to sail on Norman, be sure to pick up
a lake map and have a good GPS unit with you. Its easy to get lost with all the little islands around.

Yuri
Yuri
Browser

Postby Yuri » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:22 pm

Here are a few pictures of my Evelyn 26.
Attachments
CIMG0132-small.JPG
100_3670-1-small.jpg
100_5005-small.jpg
Yuri
Browser

Postby Admin-Pterobyte » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Yuri wrote:Hello,
There are several public launch ramps which are quite nice with multiple ramp lanes and ample parking.
Several marinas offer private ramps for modest fees, ~$10-$25.
Yuri

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum. Great Pics.

The 32 won't ramp launch, is there a travel lift or hoist someplace at the lake?

I'll try to make it down there some time this summer.
Admin-Pterobyte
Site Admin

Postby peter ross » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:23 pm

New Wave is on Craigslist today. http://providence.craigslist.org/boa/1098682279.html

Yuri,
Is a guy named Bill (dont remember how to spell his name correctly) Tivoli still around? He's a rather large, extremely friendly guy. I lost touch with him in 02, great guy.

Peter
peter ross
Contributor

Postby Yuri » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:41 pm

Peter, does Bill own a 30 foot Catalina by chance?
Yuri
Browser

Postby peter ross » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:40 pm

Yuri,
I believe he and his wife own a Beneteau, but that was in 01/02. He's one very large American Samoan who formed the American Samoa Olympic Star team in the 90's? I think. In 01 we tried to introduce Etchells to the lake, had to hire a huge crane to drop them offshore due to water levels. Bill sailed with us and was a total riot, never shut up for a moment.
What a great group of people on that lake, but man, the power boat wake.............I took a liking to Vinny's, heard the sandbar events were something to marvel at.
I believe 193 is sunk at someones dock, been trying to locate it, but too it must be a sponge by now. Some hot local sailor won that 01 event in 193(might have been a phrf pursuit race? Locals were not happy about an engineless boat sailing in the phrf class). I don't think the Etchells ever went back after that. How's the level this year? Tommy Mercer and another buddy talked me into moving to Mooresville from Wilmington to build carbon parts for Michael Maltrip. It was really to get someone out there to get their fleet in order.
Did I mention Vinny's has some of the hottest women employees I have ever seen?

Peter
peter ross
Contributor

Postby Yuri » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Based on your description, I don't think I have met Bill or his wife yet. But it sounds like they would be a lot of fun. I'll keep an eye out for them.
Brother, you ain't lyin about the power boat wake! Sweet jezzus. On a light day, the rollers will knock any wind right out of your sails, toss your beer cooler around, and almost shake your vane off the mast. The winter is definitely best for sailors because you have the lake all to yourself. The problem is that the lake is not very wide, rather it is long north to south with numerous branches and coves extending east and west of the main channel. So the motor boats all race up and down the channel throwing off these long wakes giving the lake the look of a bay with a confused sea. The rolling waves come together creating random rogue waves with breaking peaks that just pop up around your boat. Some can be 4-6 feet high. And lets face it, motor boats have no clue about right-of-way rules. To them a line of sailboats making for a mark represent a slalom opportunity. The only thing more annoying to sailors on the lake than motor boats are the jet skis.

Currently we've had bountiful rains this spring and the lake is at or near full pool. I hope it lasts through the summer when lake is usually down at least 3-5 feet.

I've never been to Vinnys but I've heard of it. Its pretty far up north from my location, at least a half day's sail with good wind. Probably a two hour motor on a calm day.
But hell if there's hot women, I've gotta go see it.

Yuri
Yuri
Browser

Postby Yuri » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:53 pm

The only travel lift I know of on Lake Norman is at All Seasons Marina.
Yuri
Browser

Postby paul » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:36 pm

Have a few questions on launching an Evelyn 26....

1) How much does the mast weigh? Anyone use a gin pole, if so how tall and where do you step it on deck?

2) I have access to a 4-ton hoist at club. I was wondering if anyone attached/bolted some angle iron to keel bolts like a J24 and used a lifting sling arrangement like the J24. Etchells class does the same thing and that boat within a few hundred pounds of E26. I'd prefer this approach to the sling/frame they have, which would prevent me from launching with mast installed. Only plan to launch/haul beginning & end of season.

3) Odd ball question, anyone with E26 using a 6HP four-stroke? Does it push boat well enough, how are noise/vibration?

Thanks,

Paul
paul
Contributor

Postby admin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 am

Took this shot last week at Block Island Race Week. These guys finished 3rd in PHRF 4, three points behind the second place boat, a Santana 30/30 and 11 points behind the Storck's kick-ass J80, "Rumor."

Nice job Stealthy people.
Attachments
E26FDstealth.JPG
admin
Site Admin

Eddie is back on the water

Postby Pterobyte » Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:18 pm

The refurb and renamed E 26 floats again! Great job Eddie!
Attachments
orca-small.jpg
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Re: Evelyn 26 on Lake Norman

Postby nimbus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 pm

Hi, I know this is an old post, but maybe people check the site once in a while. We are thinking of painting our hull topsides and had a few questions.
Did you paint the hull yourself or have a yard do it?
Approximately, how much paint did you need?
What type of paint did you use? How has it held up over the past few years?

Thanks,

Nimbus
nimbus
Contributor

Return to Evelyn 26