balance the boat?

Moderator: Pterobyte

balance the boat?

Postby Black Cat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Everyone, I bought Yuri’s boat last spring and I have continued to work on rigging and learning her ways. I have entered the Lake Norman Sail Club Races witch are very informal and not PHRF racing but rather Port-Smith rules. I really don’t know the deference. We race time on time. So that has still been a mystery to me. Well the good news is I’ve done well for a first time mono hull owner. 5th out of 19 ”third across the line” the first race, and 2nd out of 20 on the last one. My sails are old, but getting new ones fitted now. I can’t say the same for the crew, just kidding Jim “Pterobyte”. But I’m reaching out to the 26’ sailors/racers if you cloud let me know the best way to spread the rail meat out to achieve the best angle of attack on the water. Light wind & high wind. What I have found is as a single hand crew there is little to do, but with the second person on board it seams that the boat will move faster with the weight in front of the CG about were the mast is. Light verses high wind means low side weight verses high side. One thing I can see. It makes a big deference and I’ve heard from other sailors it makes a bigger difference than you might think. So someone give up the secret. I have to beat the guy in the C&C. Thanks to all who read this. A special Thanks to Jim and his wicked fast E-32. I have enjoyed being able to crew with you and look forward in many more.

Eddie Sawyer
843-424-9931
Black Cat
Browser

Re: balance the boat?

Postby Pterobyte » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:51 am

Hi Eddie.

I hope you get some input here on the 26. From watching you sail it single handed it seems the 26 sits in the water bow up, unlike the 32-2 bow down unloaded balance. I think some weight at the mast helps compensate for your being all the way back in the stern. One thing you do is take the outboard off the stern and and stow below over the keel. We will keep experimenting.

picevelyn26aa.jpg
Evelyn 26 Picture, random
picevelyn26aa.jpg (10.33 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby egon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Eddie,

I have a 26 OD also (fixed keel). In most conditions the first person on the rail is just behind the shrouds with everyone else close to one another on the rail. I will try and sit at least with the traveler between my legs or even right next to the back of the cabin top. Have your bow person monitor the bow knuckle, keep it just in the water. She likes a little heel when it's light breeze and keep it flat as the breeze builds to keep the rudder from stalling. For down wind, similar approach. Very light, you want some leward heel with crew just behind the shrouds. As pressure builds, heel the boat to windward and sail as deep as you can. For even bigger breeze and/or hot angles, move crew aft and she really flies. Ask away if you have any other questions.

--Matt
Short Bus - Evelyn 26 OD - Hull #6
egon
Contributor

Postby Black Cat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 am

Thanks Matt, do you put the short buss into many PHRF events? How does she Do? What is Your Rated PHRF for where you are? any successful modes to the boat? I'm going to put the Cat to work this year, hopping for some good finishes. Facebook me "BlackCat Evelyn" I have video's and pic's, or e26blackcat@gmail.com
again thanks for the input
Black Cat
Browser

Postby Black Cat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:01 am

So to follow up on the original post, Jim and I finally took a first place on our third attempt at a club race. it was a high wind day for us on a lake 10-15 Kts gust to 20-25. had a total of five crew for ballast we could have used 1 or 2 more. windward leg ran the blade 90%. we actually past the Ev 25 to weather :-) That was a first. after we rounded the first mark we went to a #2 downwind. lost the lead to Thumper "Ev25". Rounded second mark, back to weather past Thumper again. At mid channel mark we had to go to a broad reach. Thumper was gaining. we'll now i wished I only had 2 on the boat. Thumper probably 1500 Lbs lighter than us, slowly creeped past us and thumper was first to the line by 10 sec. Thumper owes us time so we took 1st Woooo Hoooo, a great feeling. An even better race.

The fourth race was dismal light wind 0-3 no gust needless to say we were third across finish and timed out to next to last. Kurt in a J boat was second across the finish line and received last place. I guess he had the worst race of us all. It's not always best to have a low ratting

So Now the Black Cat is out of the water to dry out, and receive new paint,and bottom job. going for local PHRF events next season. crew needed.

Marry Christmas to all!
Eddie
Black Cat
Browser

Return to Evelyn 26