Evelyn 26 Background

Moderator: Pterobyte

Re: evelyn 26

Postby Yuri » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:54 pm

What is the correct rating for the Evelyn 26 one design to identify the start time in a pursuit race?
There is a pursuit race coming up and I don't know where the official PHRF? rating is that would determine the
correct starting position for my Evelyn 26.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Yuri
Yuri
Browser

Postby darkstar32170 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:08 pm

The rating for an E26 varies between 162 and 171 depending upon the boat's configuration and where you are located.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Yuri » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Thanks for the information! Considering the age of the main on my boat, I'd lean more toward the 171 rating.
Yuri
Yuri
Browser

Postby darkstar32170 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:03 pm

PHRF ratings do not consider the age or your sails. Ratings are based on a boats in "race trim" with a clean bottom, and sails in raceable condition. Allowances are not made for old sails (or old boats). The variations in ratings for the E26 come about for one of three different reasons.

1. Different PHRF organizations may have different base boat ratings for the same boat. For instance in the Great Lakes, with predominately light air, "light air boats" like the E32-2 may be rated as faster than in an area with stronger winds.

2. The E26 was built in a number of different configurations. They were built with flush decks or cabin trunks, with inboard or outboard power, with fixed keels or daggerboards and with masthead or fractional rigs. These all affect the rating. For instance a boat with an inboard will generally rate 6 seconds per mile slower than one with an outboard (also depends on what type of prop you have - fixed, feathering, or folding).

3. Owners can alter the base boat configuration to try to gain a rating advantage for the type of winds or courses they sail. For instance, an E26 that races in my area takes a 3 seconds per mile penalty for having a spinnaker pole that is longer than the standard pole (the spinnaker is larger too) because he races on a lot of windward/leeward courses.

If I remember right you race on Lake Lanier. You can get information on the rating rules of the Lake Lanier Yacht Racing Association at http://www.lakelaniersailing.com/llphrf/ Also if you go to http://www.jyc.org/ and click on the like for "Sailing Sites" there is a section that lists the website for 15 different PHRF organizations.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Previous

Return to Evelyn 26