Extending the E

Sail Design, Sail Measurment, Sail Selection

Moderator: Pterobyte

Extending the E

Postby Pterobyte » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:53 pm

FlatlineE32 wrote:I am an inboard with a 151% jib, longer E main, and rate 101. I used to be 96 before I did an inboard and bigger main. XLR8 has a 155% jib, longer E main, and rates 100.

There has been a lot of mention of over sized E. What is over sized, 10% ?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Re: Extending the E

Postby musicman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:36 pm

The stock E on a 32 is 12.0, so 10% over is 13.2. This is the % increase we've used on 3 local 32's with great success.
10% increase in E results in a 29 sqft gain in area. In ECSA this results in a -2 sec/mile penalty (-1 for each 5% increase).
Since most areas don't allow -1 for every 5%, you may find that it makes sense to go with -3 for 15% resutling in a 13.8 E.

We tested the 13.2 setup on Remedy for 2 years and found the combinattion of the long E & 151 was the best vs the rating.
The boat is really transformed with the long E, once you sail the boat this way you'll NEVER go back to the small main.

If you are interested in going with the long E give me a call at the loft, we can also set you up with a Carbon boom. One stop shopping!
Loft: 860 536 4235.
John Fries
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:21 pm

So what does transform the boat mean? Comparing polars' on the two would very helpful, do you happen to have polars' or targets that reflect performance bands with this mod?

One of the stickers I am dealing with is the old saw about the lack of standard PHRF adjustments. I looked into the published standard you guys use up there and it looks pretty straight forward. Not so down here. I may not be able to get a pre commitment decision on the penalty. I am checking. I may have to wait until I submit and see what comes back.

I know I can't get credit down here for dropping the LP, so the 155% max will stand.
http://www.phrfchesbay.com/fltpolicy.htm
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:41 am

I don't have polars for the boat. I can tell you though that all 3 of the long E conversions we've done worked out very well in terms of actual speed vs. rating.
The long E makes the boat more forgiving to sail. Headsail selection becomes MUCH easier with the big main since you can power the boat up much more (think down range with the #3). Mark roundings, speed out of tacks & prestart speed builds improve as well since the boat isn't so headsail dependant.
Rig tuning is also made easier in that you can build helm more easily with the big main even if you are on a shorter headstay length (think dying breeze & being stuck with the mid-range headstay length).

As for your local PHRF board you should be able to sort it out with them. If you look at ECSA, PHRFNB, PHRFNE and many others you'll notice they have a section for increased E. If you send all this to your board with an idea of what you want to do (10% or 15% over). I'm sure the worst case rating hit would be -3, and that would be for 15% over.
musicman
Loquacious

Postby FlatlineE32 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:05 am

I am one of the three boats in CT with the extended E. I think Bluto has also gone with an extended E. It has made a huge difference in our overall performance. The larger main is especially nice off the wind. The conversion with a new boom and main was was not that expensive. Two of the boats have a carbon Forte boom which looks real nice. I went with aluminum. I did have to increase the size of the tube since the stock E-32 boom is undersized.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby Pterobyte » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:06 pm

musicman wrote:As for your local PHRF board you should be able to sort it out with them. If you look at ECSA, PHRFNB, PHRFNE and many others you'll notice they have a section for increased E. If you send all this to your board with an idea of what you want to do (10% or 15% over). I'm sure the worst case rating hit would be -3, and that would be for 15% over.

Ahhh, I found it. I guess I just spend too much time online and if I can't find it online then I ass-u-me it does not exist.

If I read the nice little book they sent me then I would know this stuff, slap myself!!!

PHRF of the Chesapeake says:
"... based on percent change to the calculated 100% Sail Area (SA)....
2. Guide for P alone, E alone, or P& E together ...
a. Adjustment = 3 sec/mi for up to 5% change
b. Adjustment = 6 sec/mi for over 5% change"

That will allow me 22.05 sqft, 5% of 441. Or 44 sqft for for 6 sec/mile hit taking the boat to a 90. How much of an increase in E are those?
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Postby musicman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:35 pm

e-mail me the full rules for your area and I'll have a look at it.
friessaildesign@gmail.com
musicman
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:45 pm

sure, not in eform so scanned it.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Return to Sails