Evelyn 42 PHRF Certificates

Moderator: Pterobyte

Evelyn 42 PHRF Certificates

Postby Pterodactyl » Tue May 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi all,
I am trying to get my PHRF of the Chesapeake rating (27) revised for Pterodactyl. As a part of the case presentation, I'd like to get as many PHRF certificates for other E42's as possible, even if they are old. I have data for Pterodactyl while in Michigan and for Hooligan but I can't find any of the others. Can anyone steer me toward the owners? Specifically I'd like to find:

1. who Ed Dole sold Rogue (formerly Stainless) to
2. who the last owner of Matador was (I have a H. Vaquez at Ponchartrain YC in 1996 but can't locate him/her)
3. who the last owner of Heartbreak was (which I understand was destroyed in a hurricane, the last owner I can find is Nelson but no contact info).
4. I just got a lead on another, possibly named Animal, owned by Oscar Bryan Denham in Florida I am trying to track down.

Anybody know any others? I'd really like to track these guys down.

Thanks in advance for the help,

Gene Thayer
Gene Thayer
Evelyn 42 Pterodactyl
US 73273
Pterodactyl
Contributor

Re: Evelyn 42 PHRF Certificates

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed May 25, 2011 2:15 pm

I used to sail on Heartbeat when it was still here in New Orleans. Great boat! Alan Nelson owned it. He passed away about 2 years ago. During the time he owned it, he charted it to Hank Vasquez for a year or so (who sailed it as Matador) in I believe around 1995. The boat was sold around 2002 to someone in Pensacola Florida (His name might have been Bryan Denham). The boat was destroyed in a hurricane around 2003-2004. While it was here, I believe it rated 39 I think.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Motorboat!! » Wed May 25, 2011 2:18 pm

I guess I should have read the whole post first...yes Heartbeat was sold and renamed Animal, which was the end of the boat. Denham has a new boat now and I believe he sails out of Pensacola Beach Yacht Club. You might find his contact info through them.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Pterodactyl » Wed May 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Thanks a lot Matt. I found Oscar Denham's Facebook profile so I'm trying to contact him through that. That's helpful tying Heartbeat, Matador and Animal together.
I can only find Hooligan and Pterodactyl still sailing. Its a shame for such a great boat.

I'm also trying to find Brendon Dubroth to get the straight story on how many boats got the keel and rudder modification. If anyone has any contact info on him I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,

Gene
Gene Thayer
Evelyn 42 Pterodactyl
US 73273
Pterodactyl
Contributor

Postby Motorboat!! » Thu May 26, 2011 8:56 am

No problem. Heartbeat was a great boat to sail on. We had a few J-130's here at the time that made for interesting racing that was very competitive. We had some serious talent on that boat (the talent was in the back, I was in the front). Heartbeat was all "stock" with no rudder or keel mods. I believe we sailed with an oversized spinnaker though which would explain the 3 second hit. I still see most of the crew around the yacht club, and they like to see that I have a little heartbeat.
-Matt Skaer
MOTORBOAT!!
USA 32888
Motorboat!!
Loquacious

Postby Pterodactyl » Fri May 27, 2011 4:30 pm

OK I ran across I more E42 Named Delta Seven based in Annapolis and owned by Allen Davis in the early 90's. She did KWRW in 91 and the Annapolis to Bermuda race. Ring any bells with anyone?
Gene Thayer
Evelyn 42 Pterodactyl
US 73273
Pterodactyl
Contributor

Postby Pterodactyl » Fri May 27, 2011 4:33 pm

Also does anyone know how to get in contact with Firstamos from this board? He is the guy from Atlantic City that had bought a E42 in 2009 and posted that he was planning to restore her. I emailed him but no response.
Gene Thayer
Evelyn 42 Pterodactyl
US 73273
Pterodactyl
Contributor

Return to Ratings - PHRF and Otherwise