BLOCK

Moderator: Pterobyte

BLOCK

Postby admin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:09 pm

I figure I'll do this in true SA style:

XLR8 and Bluto both at Block and are in 2 different fleets (or handicap scoring systems)

WTF????

someone needs to HTFU and race boat for boat.

-- Al. N. Block
admin
Site Admin

Re: BLOCK

Postby FlatlineE32 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:26 am

Bluto will be racing with a much taller carbon rig and other modifications. The modifications put them faster than the PHRF cut.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby admin » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:54 pm

Oh.
Darn. So much for this thread.
Okay, folks, move on...nothing to see here.
admin
Site Admin

Postby FlatlineE32 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:47 am

It will be great to see how Bluto competes with the new setup. Ben and Bill have been working like crazy to get everything done in time for the race.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby admin » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:13 am

I'll try and track them down, take some photos...maybe they'll be on the same circle as us, but sorta doubt it, but we may cross paths in the 'Round the Island race(s).
Thanks for the info, Flatline!
admin
Site Admin

Postby FlatlineE32 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:27 pm

Race 1- Around the Island
XLR8 won the PHRF division with elapsed time of 0:02:51:54
Bluto got 3rd in there IRC class with elapsed time of 0:02:54:55
I wonder what Bluto would rate under PHRF with the carbon rig. My guess is at least 89.
Jason
Flatline
Branford, CT
FlatlineE32
Avid Fan

Postby admin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 pm

some new blather and some snaps from Block I. Race Week at:

http://www.nbayracing.com/Evelyn32-2.htm

checkkitt!
admin
Site Admin

Postby smattos » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:57 pm

HI Peter,
Please provide us with a space and we will be happy to oblige(sp).

Skip
smattos
Browser

Postby admin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Hah, thanks Peter, but I'm not really deserving of anything approaching respect on this board! (especially after some botched gybes on the J24 last night!)

There doesn't seem to be any shortage of YC's up in that area, so it seems like a YC could step up and host an occassional PHRF meeting. Obviously, AYC picks up the ball for us down here most often. This (AYC's involvement) certainly suggests a level of transparency that might be harder for people to perceive if the meetings were held at the Annap Quantum loft, for example (I have nothing against Quantum and in fact usually try to steer business there or to Halsey-UK...just saying "for example.")

But it seems like the venue is less important, ultimately, than the people who are Handicappers, Delegates and Measurers. Those people should have reputations beyond reproach because that's where the integrity of PHRF is maintained. For anyone to suggest that Ben and Skip have done anything to compromise the integrity of your local PHRF OA, on this board, is, in my opinion, inappropriate.

A well-run PHRF OA should recognize and address any seeming conflict of interest and communicate that process to the members.

The Evelyn Forum has no authority, interest or business examining or exploring what goes on in any local PHRF OA . Conflicts along these lines should find another venue to publicize and/or discuss items of controversy or policy.
admin
Site Admin

Postby darkstar32170 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:12 pm

Let me start by apologizing to everyone, especially Skip Mattos. I never meant to imply that he, or anyone else on the rating committee did anything wrong. I even said, "I know its difficult to regulate things without any conflicts of interest when the community is so small, but it would be seem less like a back room deal if the process was more transparent." Skip has said that he and the other Hall employees did not vote on the Ben's rating. If this had been in the meeting minutes there is no appearance of a conflict. Sometimes its best to bend over backwards to show the fairness of the process.

PHRF across the country has a reputation among the "less well connected"' of favoring those who are connected and make back room deals. When someone on this forum asked what "Bluto's" PHRF rating was I looked it up and simply posted it. When there was a further question and I looked into the meeting minutes things didn't seem to add up, probably the "E" dimension clerical error. I don't care where the meetings are held except that I hope there are representatives from both sides of the bay (if all the meetings are on the east side the committee with tend to become a predominately east side committee). Again, if everything was more transparent - more information in the minutes - there would never even be the appearance of something happening in the back room. Please understand that I never made the accusation that there was a back room deal, only that it sure didn't "look" good.

All of "Bluto's" rating adjustments appear to be standard adjustments. If the adjustments of carbon rig and pbo rigging are standard they should be on the list of standard adjustments (they aren't). That would create more transparency.

My opinion regarding the money that was spent was merely that - an opinion. We've had similar discussions before in this forum regarding keel, rudder and open transom changes, and there were comments regarding value and justification for such changes. I think these are valuable discussions because they further the sailability of the boats. I intend to go to a longer boom when I replace my mainsail mainly because I think the boat will balance better.

As for "Dark Star," I completed recoring the deck and have applied two coats of epoxy primer and two coats of LP finish to the entire deck. The cabin top has two coats of non-skid and I hope to have the rest of the non-skid completed Monday (weather permitting - the weather has been a real problem this year hear - lots of rain). The bottom is all prepped and ready of barrier coats and antifouling. I am looking forward to racing against "Bluto" before the end of the year but really don't expect to be able to compete with the pros. Not getting crushed will be a small victory.
David Lodge
Evelyn 32-2 "Dark Star" 32170
darkstar32170
Loquacious

Postby Pterobyte » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 pm

I created a new section called 'Ratings' and moved this thread about Blutos rating to that section. I also created a section for events, it currently has Block and Screwpile in it. Just trying to keep things neat.
Pterobyte
32132 Hull# 1
Pterobyte
Loquacious

Return to Events